• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Z80/60 suspected Hydrualic issue

Oliver182

Have a 2010 genie z80/60 boom lift. Was working fine and sat at a site for several weeks without use. Went to pick it up and whenever you go up on the primary or secondary boom it will kill the engine. High or low idle no different. All the other functions operate perfectly fine. Strange thing is if you just barely engage the up switch it will load the engine but if it survives that you can then reengage the up function and it will work fine. That is until you go down with boom and then if went back up same thing again it will attempt to load up and kill engine. All wires look fine that I could see. I’m guessing it’s an issue with Hydrualic solenoid or something along those lines. I found the repair manual online so know which ones they are just not sure best way to diagnose this issue. SN on machine is Z8010-2668

Txhayseed

Same thing from the ground controls ?? Aux controls does the same thing from ground and basket or just main basket controls ?

Oliver182

Same thing from the ground controls ?? Aux controls does the same thing from ground and basket or just main basket controls ?
Same thing from both controls. After more investigation today I suspect something to do with the primary boom angle sensor. Seems to be something to do with machine thinking primarily boom is too high.

Oliver182

After more work this morning trying to calibrate the primary boom angle sensor I’m even more confused about it. Still does the trying to kill the engine deal but when you try to go up to 70 degrees to calibrate the sensor when you get up to around 45 degrees it will shut the engine off every time. Manual says it should go up to 70 so not sure what’s going on there.

Oliver182

After more work this morning trying to calibrate the primary boom angle sensor I’m even more confused about it. Still does the trying to kill the engine deal but when you try to go up to 70 degrees to calibrate the sensor when you get up to around 45 degrees it will shut the engine off every time. Manual says it should go up to 70 so not sure what’s going on there.

Txhayseed

Does not sound like your sensor. Never had a sensor kill the engine normally when your have a angle or level sensor the boom will hit the limit and not allow you to proceed with lift or drive until you return the unit to stowed position. Are you sure you Don't have a short in the harness somewhere ?? That sounds like a more likely culprit. One machine stalls can you turn the machine off. Then power back up and it works ?? Does it happen when you use Aux/emergency power ???

Txhayseed

The machine should have codes stored with this type of issue ?? No codes ? Acl500 board isnt flashing trouble codes ?Once it dies does the display go blank or does it stay on ? If you don't have Aux power and display shuts off. You have a wiring issue somewhere. Once it dies I would get my my meter and check power to the ground e stop. One side is hot from battery. Follow power across e stop to key switch then to the junction strip inside ground box. Do you have a De utz ?? E stop supplies power out to engine e cm. Other than data over the can and key on power the genie side does nothing to the engine e cm other than monitor and safe guard the parameters set by engine manufacturer.

Last edited:

Oliver182

When the engine dies the display stays on and says “engine speed no response”. I’ll check for power. No codes just the message “engine speed no response”. Duetz engine

Last edited:

Txhayseed

Ok then you have a issue with the engine speed sensor it sounds like. The machine is not picking up the rpms it wants to see in response to demand. You need and make sure that the sensor is sending the right voltage out. The machine is going into high throttle when you activate boom lift ?

Last edited:

Esmund

Dear Sir,
I'm having some issue for the Genie Z80/60 (S/N: Z8005-593). For the Secondary boom can only be function when the machine is hot. So every morning 1st start I need to wait for about 5 to 10 min till the machine hot than the secondary boom can function. the rest of the function is fine. Anyone able to assist me with this matter?
TIA

Scotty Garrison

Dear Sir,
I'm having some issue for the Genie Z80/60 (S/N: Z8005-593). For the Secondary boom can only be function when the machine is hot. So every morning 1st start I need to wait for about 5 to 10 min till the machine hot than the secondary boom can function. the rest of the function is fine. Anyone able to assist me with this matter?
TIA
Mine does the same. Watching for a response.