• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Z45 drive inoperable

MKMmech

Good day all! Newbie to the forum

I’ve got a Genie z45/25
S/N z452506-28022.

This this is making me pull my hair out a bit.
All functions work but drive won’t work, I’ve calibrated joystick, also tried another joystick and still no luck.
I’ve noticed some corrosion on the pins at the ALC500 in platform control so I replaced the pins.

I tried the unit yesterday after it sat for a while then it moved about a foot and stopped, tried again either direction and nothing
All sections are in stowed position,
I replaced the turet/rotate switch as it was badly corroded.
Also replaced the ALC500 but that did not fix the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Txhayseed

The upper control boxes always fill with water... Luckily ive only replaced one control box board in probably two years. The seem to very resilient. Have you ohmed out your main harness yet from the ground control box to the platform ? 9 out of 10 times with genies ive found the issue is with the control cables. Check for pin damage or to see if the pins have been pushed out of the deutsch connector. I made test leads since i do alot of genies boom. I made a horse shoe loop about 8 inches of wire with back probe leads on each end. Ill check the connector and pins the plug it back in on both the basket and ground. Ill then back probe each connector from inside each cabnit. Ill do the grey plug then go down the line. Ill put my jumper in say gray plug hole 1 and hole two. Go.inside the ground box and back.probe it with my meter in the corresponding location. This tests the plug both male and female both basket and ground as well as the wiring in between. It sounds tedious but once you get going you can do it pretty quick. I usually role the basket as far under as it goes that way i can just lean in and change my jumper with out getting in... You can always make up more jumpers and do more than two pins at a time. Thats where i would start....sounds like you have no communication from basket to ground.

MKMmech

Thank you very much for the reply, I have not ohmed out the harness yet.

Where have you found most of the issues with the harness to be?
I’ve noticed that there was a lot of rust in the bottom of the upper control box, I’d say about 1/4 off the bottom, almost like there was sitting water there at one point.

Thanks

The upper control boxes always fill with water... Luckily ive only replaced one control box board in probably two years. The seem to very resilient. Have you ohmed out your main harness yet from the ground control box to the platform ? 9 out of 10 times with genies ive found the issue is with the control cables. Check for pin damage or to see if the pins have been pushed out of the deutsch connector. I made test leads since i do alot of genies boom. I made a horse shoe loop about 8 inches of wire with back probe leads on each end. Ill check the connector and pins the plug it back in on both the basket and ground. Ill then back probe each connector from inside each cabnit. Ill do the grey plug then go down the line. Ill put my jumper in say gray plug hole 1 and hole two. Go.inside the ground box and back.probe it with my meter in the corresponding location. This tests the plug both male and female both basket and ground as well as the wiring in between. It sounds tedious but once you get going you can do it pretty quick. I usually role the basket as far under as it goes that way i can just lean in and change my jumper with out getting in... You can always make up more jumpers and do more than two pins at a time. Thats where i would start....sounds like you have no communication from basket to ground.

Txhayseed

I find alot of issues around the basket. The wires get hit. Hung up. Pulled on. Etc. Thats where i normally start. Then the ground panel inside where the ground control and basket controls merege at the main wire distribution board. They use a push to bite type of junction. I sometimes find wires not making good contact or pulled out. Broke etc inside.

MKMmech

I find alot of issues around the basket. The wires get hit. Hung up. Pulled on. Etc. Thats where i normally start. Then the ground panel inside where the ground control and basket controls merege at the main wire distribution board. They use a push to bite type of junction. I sometimes find wires not making good contact or pulled out. Broke etc inside.

Good day sir, so I OHM’d out the wires at the basket using your technique and they were all good.

Do you know which connector has the wires for the drive circuit, is it the green, grey brown or the black one? I’m having a hard time trying to Find the correct schematic/trouble shooting for this unit.

Thanks