• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie z45/25j issues

jcbmanuk

Hi all

Unsure if ive put this in the right section but here goes

Ive got a 1999 genie z45/25j cherry picker. She has a 3cyl deutz engine and just over 3000hrs

Ive noticed in the last few months that when the drive is under load its juddering and almost struggles slightly, i should also mention she is a 2wd model

I have also noticed the J boom (the piece that kicks up the cage from the main boom) has also gone very weak,its used to lift 2 men in the cage with ease. Now it cant.

Is anyone familiar with these machines and can point me in the direction of some checks and tests i can do please

Regards
Matt from UK

nauricestone

I would pull the valve cartridge for the jib circuit and check the o-rings and backup rings first. If the rings are blown replace them. If they are ok, there is a procedure to increase the flow to each function laid out in the service manual. You could also swap out the coils on that function with another function. I would suspect that if the jib cylinder is not drifting that it is not bypassing, but I have seen it before. The great thing is that Genie is totally open source. Go to gogenielift.com and look up your machine. The parts books are awesome and if you double click on a part number, the picture of the part shows up. The service manuals are also great. Use the "CNTRL F" function in the manual and you can narrow down what you are looking for. As far as your drives go, if you can check out the drives by turning all the way one direction and driving in high speed. While watching the wheels, notice that the drives must act like an open differential. If the inside tire is dragging, then you have one of two problems. There is a counterbalance valve in the traction manifold that acts like your differential. Also, you can jack the machine up off the ground and mark each tire and see if one is turning faster than the other. You can also remove the case drain from the drive motor and compare the fluid loss to the other drive motor. Although your machine is older, at three thousand hours, you can most likely assume your drive pump to be OK. Oh, and as much as nobody wants to hear this, if you have a bad drive motor, it is good to replace both. The great thing is that you can easily find the part number and find a half dozen parts warehouses that sell Genie parts like TVH and JLG. Search the part number and leave the GT off of the number.

Mike-G

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for your help nauricestone. I have a friend with a genie s40. It also has the deutz 3cyl. He lets me use it because I help him fix it!!
There was trouble with the basket not turning and it was the o rings worn out on the valve. As you mentioned above.
We are having trouble with the ground speed now. It will not move fast. Takes all day to get anywhere. Going to see if we can find a valve for the speed and check the o rings.
Also, it has a timer that runs the engine for a while before it shuts down. That thing is retarded. It will run an hour before it times out. I got to where I just open the bonnet and pull the rack back to kill it. Is there a way to unplug it?