• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Z45-25 boom lift. Drives slow.

dkshep2466

I'm new on here but after reading some of the other threads I thought this could be a good source of information. I have a 2001 Genie Z45 25 with the ford engine (propane and gas). This thing has been been a pain in my butt for a few years now. Its one thing after another. Fix one leak move on to the next leak. This time it stopped running. After getting the running issues taken care of, on the test drive it goes into something slower than turtle mode. After a couple hours of looking at switches and wiring we decided to call in a "dealer" technician. He checked things over for the better part of a day and decided that the drive motors were bad. So we ordered in drive motors, which were back ordered 6 weeks. When we finally got those in and installed, no change.
Any advice would be appreciated (besides lighting it on fire and rolling it down a big hill).
Thanks,

lantraxco

Serial number please? 2WD or 4WD?

Only about a hundred possibilities, lol.

Filters? Freewheel valve on the side of the pump? Acts the same in both directions? Error codes?

Typically you only get high speed with the boom sucked all the way in and all the way down, right? Assuming that's the circuits and switches you tested?

Charge pressure?

dkshep2466

Its 2wd. Serial# 19031. The primary and secondary booms are all the way to the stowed position and the jib is in. It does drive a little faster in forward than reverse. In reverse it takes a few seconds before it takes off if it takes off at all, acts like it is extended. I don't have a pressure reading on this. I don't have a gage. I usually only work on this if its engine related. I just took this on because the unit has been down for months and it doesn't look like the dealer mechanic will be back soon. My hydraulic experience is very little so I wont be offended if you talk to me like a 2nd grader, LOL!!

lantraxco

Has the serial got like a 13A-, 14B, etc. in front?

Here's where you can download a service manual to get you started: http://manuals.gogenielift.com/Parts And Service Manuals/Servzboomsindex.htm

I'm not really familiar with this machine, but I'll try to make a suggestion here or there of things to check.

Keep in mind that high pressure oil even a pinhole leak in a hose or fitting can seriously injure or kill so be careful working. If you need to check for a leak, use a piece of dry cardboard or stiff paper, not your hand. Just my usual safety briefing :)

Rentalmechanic

Check your high torque ramp switch located on the basket control console first make sure its looks like flat ground mode then.Check your boom stowed switches. Some have three some have two. One is always located on the main boom will be a switch with a roller. The second is a on the secondary sissor boom closet to the basket on the knuckle, usually on the inside . The third possible switch is on the inside of the main boom for the extend telescope function all the switches are blue in color and have a black wheel. Remove each cover one at a time with a meter use the ohm feature and check to see if the switch is working by finger click and watch your meter to go from OL TO 0.01 max 0.03. Genie have a ramp time in the alc500 card 3 sec is usually the time it you stroke the controller until the time it reacts mist dealers have whats called web gpi that can be read by laptop to see all the computer and controls and controllers in real time. Alc500 card also has trouble code and error lights in the card and will flash the problem code take the six bolts loose from the platform box the card is mounted on the the side of the platform box on the inside.need any further help just let me know

dkshep2466

It is up and running now. It turned out to be a wire to one of the three limit switches. The harness had been bent. Repaired the wire and it is now up and running. Thanks for all the input. Now to just wait on its next problem. Lol!!!

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Hope they took those drive motors back. I'm sure they weren't cheap. I'd never would have believed it to be them anyway. It never usually ends up being electical. Whether a switch or wire or combination. Glad you got it!!

Rentalmechanic

Cool beans been working on this equipment since 99 Genie, JLG , skyjack, skytrak ,doosan daewoo,john deere are my main equipment I repair 10 to 12 hrs a day.

Need your experience

Can you help me with an issue. My 506b telehandler has the a steering issue. Rear and front wheels turned all the way to the left in crab mode. Steering wheel only moves wheels 2" and locks. Looks like they are functioning in opposite directions. What can you suggest?

boomtech

Occupation
Owner:AERIAL EQUIPMENT SERVICES LLC
Z45/25 drive issue

I'm new on here but after reading some of the other threads I thought this could be a good source of information. I have a 2001 Genie Z45 25 with the ford engine (propane and gas). This thing has been been a pain in my butt for a few years now. Its one thing after another. Fix one leak move on to the next leak. This time it stopped running. After getting the running issues taken care of, on the test drive it goes into something slower than turtle mode. After a couple hours of looking at switches and wiring we decided to call in a "dealer" technician. He checked things over for the better part of a day and decided that the drive motors were bad. So we ordered in drive motors, which were back ordered 6 weeks. When we finally got those in and installed, no change.
Any advice would be appreciated (besides lighting it on fire and rolling it down a big hill).
Thanks,

Ok that uses a sundstrand M46 drive pump...what Genie tech did you call christ..lol (im factory certifed for real for real so no worries) Ok from the begining at the platform control box,toggle in high drive,high engine on,foot switch down,drive fwd....it creeps..ok open the upper box up...this is a 2001 so im hoping im giving you the right run down(hp board or ALC) left side back of box is the horse power limiter board with unit running,foot down what do you see on term 10?..should be 10.0-11.9vdc...this is the voltage the controller sees in order to send down to the EDC on the drive pump,the controller flip flops positive and negative to give you the two directions,now if thats ok go down to the drive pump like i heard someone say make sure the freewheel vale is not turned(onside of pump hex with a hole thru it) Now there are two small valves under the pump,one is brake the other is 2-speed(motor shift) lets make sure we have 12vdc to both of them with the contoller stroked,unit running,foot down...if you do thats not good...lol....Limit switches ground term 3 on the hp limiter board,also check term 6 (orange/black)wire at hp limiter..this is an A/C tach signal from the alternater..YOU READ THIS IN HERTZ/FREQUENCY NOT VOLTAGE...5hz=150rpm my bet its in there some where, all tho you said about repairing leaks...did we cross a hose some where...just a thought.....Bob 2678648352 if you need more

SHELBY BRYANT

i'm sure someone has had this issue. i have a 2003 z45/25 ford motor i got on the platform and it went reverse about one foot with the backup alarm on then stopped now does nothing forward or reverse . .just doesn't feel like a solenoid maybe wrong. sn z4525-21519

skata

Need your experience

Can you help me with an issue. My 506b telehandler has the a steering issue. Rear and front wheels turned all the way to the left in crab mode. Steering wheel only moves wheels 2" and locks. Looks like they are functioning in opposite directions. What can you suggest?
do you have a manual lever or flip switch for the steering modes?
if you have the switch, check the proximity switches on each axle? they can get hit or damaged and not allow steering modes to change.