1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Genie TMZ 34/19 Error Code "0000"

Discussion in 'Forklifts/Telehandlers' started by sgray, Oct 3, 2012.

1. chuckcastiglion

chuckcastiglion Member

I came across some posts of TMZ owners that you helped out. I'm at my whit's end and am ready to hurt something.....LOL.

I sure would appreciate some of your knowledge.

The machine is a TMZ34/19. S/N T3401-328. Electric Sch #ES0209 VIN #5D8AA19171R000328

Batteries were replaced last year. (2) motor controllers in the last 3 years which I believe was due to bad batteries.
    The control boards are the original green boards.

The lift gets used very little and sits for weeks at a time in my driveway.

It was acting really bad before I changed the batteries last year. The new batteries seemed to fix the controller issues until a few days ago. The ground controls work perfectly for the time being. The basket controls are intermittent at best. Might work for a few seconds and then quit. The basket will not work at all. If I extend the basket from the ground control and then switch the key to basket control, the basket will immediately retract without pushing the down button. The other jib cylinders stay in place when the key is switched.

All functions seem to work perfectly from the ground control. Basket controls are the problem.

My machine doesn't have the error display. You mentioned that you had a computer program. Any chance it's still available?
    I will be more than happy to compensate your time.

Best Regards,

Chuck Castiglione
    310 Mercer Rd.
    Greenville, PA. 16125
    cjcastiglione@Verizon.net
    724-813-2102

2. chuckcastiglion

chuckcastiglion Member

I did some checking this morning and found the following:
    1. All of the ground controls work perfectly.
    2. None of the platform controls work.
    3.with Ground Control active: I can hear the basket solenoid click as each of the buttons are pressed. All buttons except rotation.
    4. Platform Control Active: The platform solenoid clicks for all buttons except the "Down Basket" and rotation buttons.
    5. If the basket is raised with the ground control, it will immediately drop if the key is switched to "Platform".

I tried to plug the platform touchpad ribbon connector into the ground control pc board but the ground control ribbon plug has more connector pins so I didn't push them together.
    With the platform touchpad ribbon connector unplugged, I used my ohm meter to look for continuity of any two of the ribbon wires and all combinations were infinity.

Regards,

Chuck

3. chuckcastiglion

chuckcastiglion Member

I broke down and bought the BLUE BOARD's. The installation took about an hour. The only wiring was to connect the new four wire harness to the key switch.
    When I plugged in the main battery connector the pump motor began running but the lift didn't move. Both E-Stops were pushed in and the key was off.
    I unplugged it immediately then checked all connections and found nothing wrong. Plugged it back in ,the motor began running, and unplugged it.
    About 5 seconds later the "one year old" DC motor controller blew up like an M80 going off.
    After some trouble shooting I found that the motor controller was shorted through it to battery ground.
    The ground control of the lift worked perfectly 5 minutes before I began installing the new blue boards.
    I'm not sure what caused the controller to short out, but it must have happened when I plugged the battery in the first time.

I disconnected the wires from the B+ terminal and taped them up so they wouldn't ground out.
    Then I plugged the battery in. I pulled both E-Stops and as soon as I turned the key on the horn began beeping, on and off for about 20 seconds and then stopped.
    There are two green LED's on the pc board. The E-STOP LED was ON. The OUTRIGGER LED was OFF.
    I hit the ESTOP to shut it down. Then turned the unit back on. I did this a few times and the unit never beeped.
    The jib boom was raised about a foot from when I ran the unit before changing the boards. I tried to lower it and it worked fine.
    Connected VOM to the #1 wire to DC controller and the voltage was correct when I pressed the buttons.
    Same for the #3 wire.

I found nothing wrong with any wiring or plugs. All wires are insulated and in good shape.
    As of now, I cannot find anything that was out of place.

Just ordered (GN-160431) a new DC controller with a contactor kit that GENIE recently began installing.
    It's a relay that disconnects the battery from the B+ terminal on the motor controller.
    It looks like the #1 wire "ENABLE" 24V signal is used to pull the relay in.
    They say that it will keep the controller from catching fire or blowing up.
    We'll see....
    The controller and contactor will be here in a few days and hopefully everything works.

4. chuckcastiglion

chuckcastiglion Member

I installed the new contactor and all of the new cables. The directions were written well. The contactor is a essentially a heavy duty relay that connects the battery to the DC controller every time a button is pressed and then disconnects the battery when the button is released. My guess is that the DC controllers will last much longer since they only see power when a button is pressed. Let's hope so. Only issue was (1) wire that was originally connected from (P1 Pin 1) to the B+ terminal on the controller. This wire needs to be connected to constant battery voltage, not the contactor. I connected it to the 175 amp fuse. The lift works great and it only cost me about $2500 and some time. I bought everything through www.gciron.com. Frank helped me out as best as he could. Anyone know of a company that buys sets of green boards? The new boards were built in by York Products in York, PA. I would think that some enterprising sparky would figure out how to repair the green boards and resell them. Maybe someday......

5. scottwj

scottwj New Member

New problem with my TMZ34/19. I have previous posts in this thread with machine info.
    Using my machine today OK. left it set up, after lunch it quit working.
    No lights or display at lower panel.
    Checked power at all Troubleshooting Chart 1 locations. Got 25v at:
    1)both E-stops both sides,
    2)key switch in platform and ground positions
    3)both sides of circuit breaker

Have removed main power, let sit and reconnected with no change.

E-Stop green LED is on, on main board (goes off when either E-Stop activated)

Boards are blue BTW.

Anything like a shorted input or output that could keep the main board from booting up?

If its a bad board, any way to identify the problem board without buying and swapping,
    hoping for the best?

Thanks,
    Scott

6. DanaT

DanaT New Member

I have TMZ-34/19 with similar issue but don't have LED readout (G8 Diagnostic Display). Outriggers down and locked, all lights solid green, batteries show full charge, have 24 volts. Newer motor controller, doesn't appear to be bad. Went up, then back down, now nothing, can't retract outriggers, can't move boom. Is software available to use computer to help diagnose?

7. Bertfish

Bertfish Member

I need that software too if its available. Just put new circuit boards in mine and I now have error code 0100. Guess what, that doesn't appear in any of the manuals!

8. Bertfish

Bertfish Member

If your unit has a serial port for diagnostics this should apply to you.

Genie tech that I talked to pointed me to this link (ftp://ftp.genieindustries.com/Chris H/) and said to download TMZ Monitor.exe. He also said that you must connect to the unit serial-to-serial from a computer; it will not recognize a serial-to-USB adapter. Apparently this program allows you to watch what the processor sees as you press buttons on the unit so you can compare input versus what the processor sees/tries to do. I did not try to use it yet so thats about all I can offer.

9. aballworth

aballworth New Member

Can I get the program.

IS there any way I could get the program? I am having the same problem. My email is aballworth@gmail.com

10. DARTHESE

DARTHESE New Member

genie 34/19 pc software.

HI, I was wondering if you still have the software for the laptop. If so, may you email it to me at darthsally@gmail.com

11. StonikM

StonikM New Member

Hello, I have the same problems, has anyone TMZ Monitor.exe and sent me a link PLS?