• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Scissor Lift will Not Lift

mybmw

Hey guys wondering if anyone has some advice for me I Have 2008 Genie Gs 1930 scissor Lift, when a single person is operating
the lift it goes up & down fine but when 2 average size persons are in the lift it will not go up we are well under the rated maximum capacity of the lift platform u can still hear the pump motor running but seems like it does not have enough power or hydraulic flow to raise the platform with the weight of 2 people for whatever reason. there is plenty of hydraulic oil in the reservoir could there be a faulty valve or
something restricting flow can anyone offer me some tips where to check? appreciate all your comments thx heaps.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You're going to have to do some tests mybmw. The first thing you're going to need to get is a 5000 lb liquid filled pressure gauge, a length of 1/4" 4 to 5000 PSI hyd hose to connect to gauge, and a quick coupler to connect hose to test fitting A on function manifold (shown below). A good hyd hose/fitting shop should be able to supply you with these parts, but if you can't obtain the quick couple, you can remove the test fitting and obtain an SAE fitting that will screw in port on manifold and connect hose to gauge.

Assuming the hyd pump is good, as you have no problems with other functions, you need to test relief valve pressures. Connect your test gauge to test fitting, chock the drive wheels so machine won't move, activate fwd drive then rev drive while monitoring pressure gauge. You should see somewhere around 3700 PSI. If you have that, main relief is good. If not, we have to investigate problem.

Assuming main relief tested good, test gauge connected to A on manifold, operate platform lift from ground controls. Lift platform until it reaches end of cylinder stroke and hold it there, you should a range of 1800 to 3700 PSI. If it's in the low range, try adjusting the relief valve up a bit by removing the cap on lift relief valve cartridge (C in illustration) and turn adjuster inside cartridge CW one turn. Test lift pressure again and see if pressure is now higher. If it's higher, try operating lift with your two workers now. You can adjust that relief up to 3700 PSI, but try to keep it in a range to do the work you need, lower pressure is better if platform hits an obstruction. If the pressure doesn't increase when you adjust relief, we need to investigate further.

Genie GS1930 function manifold.png

Last edited:

mybmw

THanx alot Willie I really appreciate very much looks like u went to a fair bit of trouble, I will have a play with it in the morning I noticed that is a hydraulic filter in there I am going to change that as well just in case it is blocked & may be restricting hydraulic flow will let u guys know how I went

mybmw

Hey Willie I followed your instructions & everything works like a charm, the pump pressure was good & within tolerances so I opened up the relief valve 1 full turn & changed the hydraulic filter as well & it worked flawlessly afterwards thanx again for your assistance, best wishes frank

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hey Willie I followed your instructions & everything works like a charm, the pump pressure was good & within tolerances so I opened up the relief valve 1 full turn & changed the hydraulic filter as well & it worked flawlessly afterwards thanx again for your assistance, best wishes frank

Good news indeed mybmw. :drinkup

Nadine

Similar Issue

Hey guys wondering if anyone has some advice for me I Have 2008 Genie Gs 1930 scissor Lift, when a single person is operating
the lift it goes up & down fine but when 2 average size persons are in the lift it will not go up we are well under the rated maximum capacity of the lift platform u can still hear the pump motor running but seems like it does not have enough power or hydraulic flow to raise the platform with the weight of 2 people for whatever reason. there is plenty of hydraulic oil in the reservoir could there be a faulty valve or
something restricting flow can anyone offer me some tips where to check? appreciate all your comments thx heaps.

Hey mybmw,

I'm facing this same issue with my Genie GS-1930. My dealer is insisting I change the motor controller claiming this is the cause to the problem because the output volt showed 11Vdc. Please advise how I can solve this without spending so much by changing the controller?