• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

genie scissor lift low voltage help

Dust

Hello, I am here to help a friend out. Genie 2632 has 6 month old batteries. Runs like batteries are down, up, fwd, rev. Low voltage on display at both upper and lower controls. No other code. Bypassed contactor to eliminate possible v loss. No difference. Batteries all load test individually good. 24.8V at batteries, 24.8 at key switch & lower circuit breaker. Individually charged all 4 separate on 6v 10a deep cycle charger, in case charger was bad, same result. Cut all zipties, chased all wires top to bottom, no shorts. Any suggestions other than new batteries? GS3213A-11xxxx

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't really have an answer to your question, rather two things that need to be confirmed. 1) you stated they passed "load test". What type of load tested did you use? If you used a standard automotive type resistor load tester, forget about it, that type load tester won't even make those batteries wake up for coffee in the morning, you have to use a carbon pile or equivalent load tester to put those batteries through the paces. And 2) is the water/electrolyte at proper level in the batteries?

Also, battery cable connections, I've remedied many problems with these machines by simply finding a bad cable connection. Looks fine upon observation, but fails miserably when under load of machine operation.

Dust

I will check the batteries more. Good call on the load tester, i had no idea. I only have a basic auto style. Can i use the lift itself as a load test, just measuring at the pump? If the charger is bad, is it worth rebuilding, where would i take it? He had suspected charger, put a trickle charger on it. I know thats no good, but would it sulfate batteries with only one charge?

Dust

Thanks for your help. Electrolite levels are good, cables are good. Going to have the batteries tested properly and get a new charger.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't know what charger is on that unit, but my guess is it's a sealed unit, not really a unit you can re-build, but you should be sure the charger is in fact failed before you condemn it. If you do determine it needs replacement I'd contact Hindley Electronics for a replacement > https://www.hindleyelectronics.com/, see how they compare to OEM. Load test of the batteries? Without a proper carbon pile or equivalent load tester, about the best you can do is connect a volt meter across the master positive and master negative of the batteries, I'm guessing that's a 24V machine, then power up the steering of the machine in either direction right or left until it bottoms out and hold it there. This will load the pump motor pushing fluid over the steer relief valve. At that point see how fast voltage drops on your volt meter. If it drops rapidly, or even a slow steady drop, likely failing batteries. But if voltage holds fairly true with a expected drop under load, batteries probably good.

TThrelfall

I am having a similar problem, I know this is an old thread but maybe someone is still hanging around. I replaced all four batteries, I have good voltage everywhere but I’m still getting a low voltage warning on my display. The lift is a 2012 genie 2632, I believe the charger is bad but I have it eliminated, does the machine need to see the charger in place?

Zewnten

What condition are you battery cables in? I'd do a voltage drop test at the motor when operating a function.

TThrelfall

Yes but with a 6 volt charger. Each battery individually, I am confident the machines battery charger is bad as the previous owner was using the machine with dead batteries put plugged into the charger. All the charger does is flash lights and beeb constantly when plugged in and I know the connections are good.

Zewnten

What voltage is the controller getting? If it's all good I'd be leaning towards the controller being bad. Previous owner may have burned something out running it like he did.

TThrelfall

If I pin it out at the gray plug which seems to be the plug that sends power to the GCON I have no voltage drop at all. I double checked grounds and powers that’s all good, if I scroll through the menu on the controller the voltage reads 0.0 volts. I’m not sure if that is supposed to tell me the actual voltage in the batteries because I’m unfamiliar with the machine but my best guess is the GCON is bad. I’m trying to locate a test one now before I buy that and a charger.

Zewnten

Genie has schematics on their website, look up service manuals. It will give you the pin out so you'll know exactly which wire supplies voltage and which is ground. If the wiring is good then probably a good bet on the controller.

Muscadine

If I pin it out at the gray plug which seems to be the plug that sends power to the GCON I have no voltage drop at all. I double checked grounds and powers that’s all good, if I scroll through the menu on the controller the voltage reads 0.0 volts. I’m not sure if that is supposed to tell me the actual voltage in the batteries because I’m unfamiliar with the machine but my best guess is the GCON is bad. I’m trying to locate a test one now before I buy that and a charger.
I have the same unit doing the same thing. Replaced the batteries and checked all cables. Replaced the motor control unit too. Charger still blinks and beeps and unit shows "low voltage" at key on. What fixed your unit? What is the GCON and which controller were you referring to in your text ie. ECM ?