• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

genie 1056 stalls

Greenmonzter

Occupation
carpenter/framing/ heavyequipment
I gotta gth-1056 10k forklift has a john deere 4045 engine..gets hot and shuts off. radiator is full, no coolant leaks.. no fluid on ground

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
I gotta gth-1056 10k forklift has a john deere 4045 engine..gets hot and shuts off. radiator is full, no coolant leaks.. no fluid on ground
Check the radiator fins on the fan side. Had one last year overheating because of all the crap caked onto the radiator fins. If you have an infrared temp gun you should verify it's actually getting hot enough to be shut down. Might be getting a false reading from the overtemp safety switch if it has one or the coolant temp sensor.

Greenmonzter

Occupation
I do have infrared temp gun.. what would the degree tolerance be?? between 180°~220°. I'm kinda new to the heavy equipment world. been wrenching my whole life, just not on a diesel engine. So i am open to all the information i can get

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
How many hours on the machine? Idiot lights or temp gauge?

Check the easy stuff first: Temp switch/sender function with a meter cold versus when it "overheats", (as above) temp difference at the radiator upper hose to lower, inspect and test your radiator cap.

It's Genie, so the service manual should be available on their site.

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
I do have infrared temp gun.. what would the degree tolerance be?? between 180°~220°. I'm kinda new to the heavy equipment world. been wrenching my whole life, just not on a diesel engine. So i am open to all the information i can get
Like Marshall said, you can download the manual from Genie. The electrical schematics will be in there as well as the specs for the coolant temp sensor.

Greenmonzter

Occupation
How many hours on the machine? Idiot lights or temp gauge?

Check the easy stuff first: Temp switch/sender function with a meter cold versus when it "overheats", (as above) temp difference at the radiator upper hose to lower, inspect and test your radiator cap.

It's Genie, so the service manual should be available on their site.
its got 6155hrs... It is 2012 and it has a digital display on the dash that will display fault codes when ecm detects irregular engine conditions. I serviced the machine today and cleaned the radiator, they used it all day without it stalling. I took temp readings threw out the day also with the average temp 170°f and the highest being 200°f thats with a temp gun.. last week it shut down like 7 times in a day... the inner air filter was black..im sure it was well over due on service.