• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Generators (Portable)

mbavers

I didn't know where to post this. There are some very knowledgeable people on this board, so I'm hoping for some good input. The internet is full of a lot of fools and scams, so I've given up on that.
I want to buy a 5,000 running watt minimum, up to 8,000 watt, generator for emergency use when power is temporarily out at my house. I just need enough to take turns between the well pump, water heater, and electric stove. It will be rarely used, if ever, but it's got to be reliable because when I need it the temps will probably be below zero. My choices locally are DeWalt, Steele, AI (never heard of them before), BE (never heard of them either), Ryobi, Champion. Read some bad reviews on the DeWalt (3 different people had the same problems with the recoil starter). Would appreciate input.

Delmer

Compared to the water heater, the well pump is a small load. Even the electric stove is a relatively small load because they're rarely used with all the burners at once. Water heaters are 4,500-5,500W assuming electric resistance, look at the element to get the rating, more important, they're 220V, and so is the stove, and the well pump could be as well. That makes wiring as big an expense as a bargain generator, and these are all bargain generators as far as I know. A good one is HONDA, some other good ones also, but ryobi, champion, and dewalt are not.

Are you capable of doing the wiring yourself? or looking to hire it done? that's the first question. Second, what's the well pump voltage and rating?

mbavers

I should have been more clear in my post. I built my house alone, including bringing in the power and all the wiring, so I know what to do. I also know the wattage of my water heater (top and bottom elements), stove (each individual element), well pump, freezer, etc. I was looking for reviews/problems on generators.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
All of those generators mentioned are Chinese throwaway.

As far as I am concerned, the choices should be Honda, Honda, or Honda. Yes they cost a lot more. Buy a used one on Craigslist or Facebook. It will outlast any of the Chinese ones, and you can get parts too.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I bought a 7500 watt generator from Harbor Freight and don't have any regrets. It's a Chinese knockoff of a Honda 13hp and 5 gallons will last nearly 24 hours. I can run the whole house on it but I've got a hot water coil in my boiler, not electric. I lost power here for 30 days and it never skipped a beat.

mbavers

All of those generators mentioned are Chinese throwaway.

As far as I am concerned, the choices should be Honda, Honda, or Honda. Yes they cost a lot more. Buy a used one on Craigslist or Facebook. It will outlast any of the Chinese ones, and you can get parts too.

Yeah, wish I could afford one, especially with the shipping to Alaska. I've been looking for a used one.

mbavers

I bought a 7500 watt generator from Harbor Freight and don't have any regrets. It's a Chinese knockoff of a Honda 13hp and 5 gallons will last nearly 24 hours. I can run the whole house on it but I've got a hot water coil in my boiler, not electric. I lost power here for 30 days and it never skipped a beat.

I've heard a lot of bad jokes about Harbor Freight, but I've used some of their stuff that worked OK. Was there a name on the Generator other than Harbor Freight?

Delmer

All that stuff can run on a 2000 watt inverter if you know what you're doing. 2000w honda inverter will be still more expensive than a china 5KW, but it will start. I assumed you meant reliable when you said reliable, nothing wrong with china stuff, but if you're put off by a broken recoil starter, don't buy china stuff.

skyking1

I'm guessing you need 240 volts for those loads, so that sets the minimums at your 5000~8000 watt units. I hear you about getting it local, but if you do order something, Yamaha makes a good product IMO. I can't report on your available local choices.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I've been inside a couple Yamahas, not impressed, and support was not there even though there is a Yamaha dealer in Sacramento. Honda is the only one I know that has a real network.