• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

General Opinions

WonderingDan

Hey everyone,

I am looking at JLG, Genie, and SkyJack as companies and was wondering if anyone had their own opinions on the companies in general. The questions I have are as follows: What the general benefits that each company offers? For example, SkyTrack has interchangeable parts and easy maintenance with multiple types of machinery. What are some of the common problems with each brand? What makes you purchase a specific brand over the other?

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

Mikefromcny

Occupation
Mechanic
Hey everyone,

I am looking at JLG, Genie, and SkyJack as companies and was wondering if anyone had their own opinions on the companies in general. The questions I have are as follows: What the general benefits that each company offers? For example, SkyTrack has interchangeable parts and easy maintenance with multiple types of machinery. What are some of the common problems with each brand? What makes you purchase a specific brand over the other?

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

What type of machines are you talking about? Skytrack is owned by Jlg. Jlg in my opinion makes an awesome product. User friendly and intuitive. They sell a diagnostic tool compareable to an obd2 scanner for vehicles. Makes troubleshooting quicker and easier then chasing wires and using a multi meter. I've completed 4 jlg classes at their plant in Mcconnelsburg PA. Everyone I met, engineers, instructors, safety personnel etc seemed very happy to be there, like they loved their jobs and were devoted to building a great product. If I had a question that couldnt be answered by the instructor, he was on the phone with someone and got me an answer. I asked about a Skytrack telehandler I had at the shop during a boom lift class..at the end of the day they handed me a 40 page packet of electrical and hydraulic schematics for my machine, free of charge.

If I recall correctly, in the late 60's a constructIon worker fell to his death off some scaffolding. An inventor living in florida decided there was a safer way and the first boomlift was born. The inventor was retired from his first company, Grove Manufacturering.....John L Grove, aka JLG. Its a fascinating story in my opinion. There is even a biography on johns companies. I own it and its a good read.

The blue guys..genie make a decent product in my opinion. Terex and genie telehandlers are the same. Booms are good but not as easy to work on as the JLG machines. Most of the stuff I work on is mid 2000's. An 05' genie boom seems to be as advanced as an 98' jlg boom.

Not sure what else you'd like to know. Post back if you want to know more.