• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

General Liability

Danny L. Thomas

I don't know if this is in the right place or not but here goes. First off, I am not an excavation contractor. I use my equipment to maintain my roads, pastures, fencelines, etc. I recently bought a compact excavator to do some clearing in one of my pastures. I have had several neighbors notice it and ask me about doing "a little work" for them on their places. I had been in the HVAC business for 18 years and always carried contractors general liability but have been out of the business for over 10 years. My question for all the guys in the know is can you buy short term general liability for such a scenario? I doubt there would be over 3 or 4 times a year that I would haul to another farm or ranch and do a day or so worth of work so I can't see buying an annual policy. Any thoughts?

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
yeah, its not going to be worth the hassle. Go price out a policy and see what you find out.

Vetech63

I would think it would depend on the kind of "little work" they want you to do? I am no operator and someone correct me if I am wrong...….but if your just going to push a few trees down or move rocks and stumps, would you even need GL?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I guess it would be your risk. There seems to be a lot of law suits in the states. That is something that is very rare here in Canada. I don't think I know anyone that has ever been sued.

hosspuller

A true story. Have an auger to dig postholes. Neighbor asked me to dig a few holes to plant a line of trees for privacy. A favor, no money. After doing the line of holes, he decided to plant a tree next to the house. Very nearby was a propane tank. I asked repeatedly if his indicated location was clear. He was most emphatic, it was clear. So I dropped the auger and started.

Within a few turns, the auger hole was filling with water ! Seems we hit his water line. His wife was in the shower and emphatically not happy :mad:

I beat it out of there quickly, leaving him to face the soapy wife and busted water line.

A blown up house with people killed would have had a very different ending. Made me reconsider all digging for neighbors. I ask for Locate services even for pulling a stump. (last year)

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
All the GL policies I've every had was a 12 month period based on what your estimated dollar volume during that time is going to be.

Talk to an insurance agent. If you are planning on doing a "little work" then estimate that amount and spread it out over 12 months. If you do more than your estimated volume in the policy you will have to pay a little more.

I've never heard of a "short term" GL policy but that doesn't mean they are not out there. Personally I wouldn't do anything for money with a piece of equipment without GL - the exposure is too great.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
All the GL policies I've every had was a 12 month period based on what your estimated dollar volume during that time is going to be.

Talk to an insurance agent. If you are planning on doing a "little work" then estimate that amount and spread it out over 12 months. If you do more than your estimated volume in the policy you will have to pay a little more.

I've never heard of a "short term" GL policy but that doesn't mean they are not out there. Personally I wouldn't do anything for money with a piece of equipment without GL - the exposure is too great.

Same for me. When I was grading snowmobile and ATV trails for the state of Minnesota, the only liability policy I could buy was for a year at a time with no refund for canceling. Cost me $1,400.00 a year for 2 million dollar policy with only me grading and no cutting more than 6 inches deep total. The requirement was for 1.5 million dollar policy but I could only buy a 1 or 2 million policy.