• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

General 955K questions

wagspe208

You guys rock! I bought a used 955K and after a little maintenance/ adjustment, it it running its ass off.
I have some questions, though.

1) Was the hour meter located behind the radiator and round?
2) Fuel pressure gauge is clouded/ not working. How important is it?
3) Water pressure gauge is cracked and does not seem to be working. Important?
4) Water temp, convertor temp, move so I assume they work properly.
5) Oil pressure gauge goes to max when engine runs, and drops down when shut off, is this normal, or is this gauge probably reading, but incorrectly?

Thanks
Steve

gpap123

Occupation
Civil Engineer - Contructor
1. Hour meter is located behind the radiator
2.Important. fix it!
3.Important. fix it!
4.Be sure they work properly.
5.This is normal, you have to be sure that it is working properly.

wagspe208

OK, will do. I will try and track down the part numbers.
I signed up for Cat online parts catalogs. Not very user friendly, but I did not have much time to look before I left.
Thanks for the help.
Wags

grandpa

OK, will do. I will try and track down the part numbers.
I signed up for Cat online parts catalogs. Not very user friendly, but I did not have much time to look before I left.
Thanks for the help.
Wags

Don't bother replacing the water pressure gauge, they stopped installing them on cat's for a reason.....they're not needed.

wagspe208

Ted (955) is running his ass off. He seems to be heavy though. Sure easy to get stuck.
So, he has regular pads, not lgp or whatever. How wide are those? I have used the log and chain trick to get him out. It works great. But, it is a PITA to keep the long chains hooked to the pads, so I will make up 2 short chains just longer than the pads so the hooks will be harder to pull off, then hook the chain from the log to these chains... hence pad width ?

Thanks
Wags