• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Generac Kia Diesel Engine Identification?

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
I have a Generac 2.4L Kia Diesel Genset and I am having a hard time finding parts for it. Since it is a Kia engine, I was hoping that I could figure out what Model of the Kia engine it is and be able to find the parts with Kia part numbers vs the Generac part numbers.

I am attaching the numbers I found stamped into the block.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
tempImageBjr27D.png tempImageQLs0d7.png

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
If it has a mechanical injection pump and injectors, snap a pic of them and any name plates u see on the inj pumps..
DO NOT SCRAPE THEM

thepumpguysc

Occupation
If I can ID the pump, I can look to see what engine it was assigned to..
And isn’t that what your asking for.??
The name plates r stamped lightly, so if u start scraping it, you’ll scratch off the numbers.. & that’s no bueno..

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
They seemingly used engines not used in any car or tractor in the US. Or custom configurations not used anywhere else in the world. But I have seen TPG pull some rabbits out of the hat.

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
After doing a bit of research myself, it looks very similar to the engine in a Kia K2400 or a Kia Ceres. Not something in the US, so maybe?

I went out to take some pictures for you guys tonight and found a Dataplate that Generac painted over. I tried very lightly to remove the paint, but I ended up taking off too much so I stopped. See the images below as well as a picture of the engine pump. Looks like a DOOWON pump?

Just to give you more of a back story, I bought this Genset and it sat in storage for about 7 years before I tried to use it. It had 10 hours on it from the factory and I ran it for about 30 Minutes before it started making a strange sound. I of course did a full Oil change before I ran it after sitting this long. About 30 seconds into it making a strange sound the engine shut down. I pulled the head and found that the exhaust valve dropped into one of the cylinders and caused one of the cylinders to break apart. The cylinder walls seem undamaged though so I think I got lucky. This was about 7 years ago. At the time I ordered all the parts I needed to fix the engine. I got busy and forgot about it. When I checked the parts I ordered, I found that they had only shipped half of them and that the company went bankrupt and kept my money. Ugh.

I finally have time for this and now all the parts are discontinued that I need. I am trying to find a piston, connecting rod, rod bearings, a valve, valve springs, and valve cotter pins.

Thanks for the help.

tempImageXlTxD4.png tempImagekSc5yb.png IMG_9442.jpg IMG_9444.jpg

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
I thought I had the service manual for that engine and your pictures confirm it's the right one (sadly not the parts manual). For the IP it says "Diesel Kiki's Bosch-VE-Distributor Type".

I looked through the manual and there's no hints on the actual manufacturer. Generac was pretty bad about picking oddball industrial engines to use for a run and just list it as a Generac in the literature.

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
I did buy the service manual for it as well, but it never says the make and model of the original engine.
I tried those numbers I was able to lift off the data plate and did not really find anything online.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
U need to go to the store and get some paint/gasket remover in a spray can.. spray it on and wipe it off.. NO SCRATCHING.!!!
MP is correct.. it’s a VE pump.
There IS a data tag on the pump..
Get those #

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
There is no way on earth this orphan is worth all that trouble, but if you want to do it just because it is a fun project, by all means I am interested in how this turns out. After you gave this additional info about it being a 7 year basket case.

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
U need to go to the store and get some paint/gasket remover in a spray can.. spray it on and wipe it off.. NO SCRATCHING.!!!
MP is correct.. it’s a VE pump.
There IS a data tag on the pump..
Get those #
So I used paint remover on the top plate and that's what pulled the numbers off too. So I am worried it will pull the numbers off this data-late too.

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
There is no way on earth this orphan is worth all that trouble, but if you want to do it just because it is a fun project, by all means I am interested in how this turns out. After you gave this additional info about it being a 7 year basket case.
This is pretty much a new Genset, so I would like to recover it if possible. Everything else on this unit is pretty much brand new. And for the 30 minutes it ran, it was glorious :p

Perhaps I am over thinking it? I have not done a full engine rebuild before. Could some of these things like valve springs, valves, and rod bearings be a standard size that I could use a same size OEM part?

I will be posting a video about this on my channel once I can find some parts for this if you want to follow along.