• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gehl, TCI, BladeMor MG 747 mini grader info needed

tech1234

Hey guys just wanted to stop in and say hi, and I have a few questions as well. I'm new to motor graders (my experience is operating excavators, and to a lesser extent dozers and skid steers) anyways I bought a hillside blueberry farm in NH a few years ago and I've been struggling with road maintenance ever since. I've tried skid steers, dozers, homebrew drags, york rakes etc. They all would get me by but none of them really did what I was looking for. Then I found a guy renting a mini grader on FB marketplace and it was the answer to my prayers :) For cost/trucking and scheduling reasons I decided I would buy my own to have here on site and to also help out some of the local guys having the same problems. Anyways after looking forever I finally found a 1990 or 1991?? Gehl 747 mini motor grader in working condition so I scooped it up. After getting it home I realized info and parts are about non existent. Luckily it didn't need too much and in a past life I was a mechanic/fabricator. Now that I've owned this for about 6 months I've got some questions I'm hoping you guys can help me out with.

Does anybody know where to get a factory service manual or anything similar?

The hour meter on this works and reads 389 hours... Should I be suspicious of that? Seems oddly low

Should the rear scarifier be able to pick up the machine? Mine does not. (Not that I need it to but it just seems a little weak)

What should the tire pressures be? I have them at 30psi now

This machine came to me with the foot brake not working because the master cylinder was blown out. Turned out the master cylinder was an old Ford single line master, so I replaced it and got the brake system working. It all looks factory but with the brakes working properly it still has very minimal braking. It's a single rotor on the drive shaft and a non power master so the pedal doesn't do a whole lot (to stop it going down hill it takes 2 feet and all the force I can apply)... Is this typical for a machine like this? I will definitely need to do some kind of upgrade because of the hills I need to grade (I'm thinking maybe a hydroboost booster mod) (pic of brake setup below)

Has anybody seen what the parking brake setup is supposed to be on these? I looked all over the internet and I couldn't find any info or pictures... Everything except for the caliper and rotor are missing. I ended up rigging up a temporary setup to just see how it would work. My system definitely needs improving.

My last question is regarding shifting... This thing has a torque converter to shuttle shift to manual gear box type setup. It has 4 gears. 3 and 4 seem to be just for transport. My question is how are you supposed to get into 3 or 4? It doesn't seem to want to shift "on the fly" and if you put it into 3 or 4 from a stop on flat ground the gearing is too tall and it just stalls the torque converter. 20200612_171645.jpg 20200612_171713.jpg

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Did you buy it from the dealer, or the original owner. The company named on the canopy might still have info

tech1234

I bought it from the company who is on the canopy. They bought it from auction and have limited information as well

Curt TCI 747

Hey guys just wanted to stop in and say hi, and I have a few questions as well. I'm new to motor graders (my experience is operating excavators, and to a lesser extent dozers and skid steers) anyways I bought a hillside blueberry farm in NH a few years ago and I've been struggling with road maintenance ever since. I've tried skid steers, dozers, homebrew drags, york rakes etc. They all would get me by but none of them really did what I was looking for. Then I found a guy renting a mini grader on FB marketplace and it was the answer to my prayers :) For cost/trucking and scheduling reasons I decided I would buy my own to have here on site and to also help out some of the local guys having the same problems. Anyways after looking forever I finally found a 1990 or 1991?? Gehl 747 mini motor grader in working condition so I scooped it up. After getting it home I realized info and parts are about non existent. Luckily it didn't need too much and in a past life I was a mechanic/fabricator. Now that I've owned this for about 6 months I've got some questions I'm hoping you guys can help me out with.

Does anybody know where to get a factory service manual or anything similar?

The hour meter on this works and reads 389 hours... Should I be suspicious of that? Seems oddly low

Should the rear scarifier be able to pick up the machine? Mine does not. (Not that I need it to but it just seems a little weak)

What should the tire pressures be? I have them at 30psi now

This machine came to me with the foot brake not working because the master cylinder was blown out. Turned out the master cylinder was an old Ford single line master, so I replaced it and got the brake system working. It all looks factory but with the brakes working properly it still has very minimal braking. It's a single rotor on the drive shaft and a non power master so the pedal doesn't do a whole lot (to stop it going down hill it takes 2 feet and all the force I can apply)... Is this typical for a machine like this? I will definitely need to do some kind of upgrade because of the hills I need to grade (I'm thinking maybe a hydroboost booster mod) (pic of brake setup below)

Has anybody seen what the parking brake setup is supposed to be on these? I looked all over the internet and I couldn't find any info or pictures... Everything except for the caliper and rotor are missing. I ended up rigging up a temporary setup to just see how it would work. My system definitely needs improving.

My last question is regarding shifting... This thing has a torque converter to shuttle shift to manual gear box type setup. It has 4 gears. 3 and 4 seem to be just for transport. My question is how are you supposed to get into 3 or 4? It doesn't seem to want to shift "on the fly" and if you put it into 3 or 4 from a stop on flat ground the gearing is too tall and it just stalls the torque converter. View attachment 219223 View attachment 219224

Curt TCI 747

Good day Tech1234 I have a TCI 747 that the master cylinder went out on. I was wondering where you got the one you replaced?

The brake should stop thge machine with little effort. Probable a frozen caliper or two(2 double piston units),.
The e brake is a band over drum unit under the seat. Master cylinder is available through Napa(58 t bird if i remember it).

Jerry Bull

This is an old thread but I have also acquired one of these machines. If anyone has any service info such as what kind of oil does into the gearbox as well as the hydrostatic transmission I would greatly appreciate it. About the only thing I do know about this machine is it has an Isuzu C240 engine. I'm even having trouble figuring out what fuel filter it's supposed to have as well as the hydrostat filter (and can't even find out where to put fluid in it). I would love to find even just an old owners manual.

STEFANO

Hi Jerry,

IOend you Service Manual per ISUZU Engine C240 .

Regards

Attachments

• ISUZU C240 Service Manual.pdf
    5.7 MB · Views: 12

Jerry Bull

Thank you very much! I did finally find the dipstick plug on the transmission. It was hidden by the heater hoses and caked up with dirt. Thank you again!

Jerry Bull

This is a service manual I came up with. It's not the exact same unit as the Joseph Industries 1016-13R shuttle transmission due to having a yoke for the output instead of directly bolting to the transmission but the guts should be identical. Also I'll add that Joseph Industries sells the rebuild kits for our shuttle box.

Attachments

• BorgWarnerT72shuttleBox.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Jerry Bull

I'm also looking to match up a cutting edge. The best I have came up with is using a Western snow plow edge that appears to have the same bolt pattern. Has anyone had any luck finding a better alternative?

Welder Dave

I'd have thought a standard grader blade would fit. Maybe only uses every 2nd hole? You can get custom punched edges too. Need to talk to a supplier of grader edges. It seems odd it would use an exclusive bolt pattern.

Welder Dave

They come both ways as far as I know. When I get a cutting edge for my snow bucket it can be curved or flat and I think is just a grader blade.