• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gehl AL Line

toget007

Hi lumberjack!
I was just woundering if you have shipped the parts I ordered from you? Cause I haven't got them yet :/

lumberjack

Updated path. Currently I'll leave Sunday the 21st for checkpoint B. Arrive at C Tuesday morning, leave Friday. Going up into Tennessee isn't a problem if anyone is that way, checkpoint D is flexible time wise.

ScreenShot2013-04-04at54812PM_zps1856a867.png

Dr. Ernie

Has anyone drained the rear tires and replaced the weight with wheel weights or a plate under the rear or a modified counter weigh?

My wife has one at work I suggested the 540 instead of a skid loader, they deal with high school kids so a skidsteer is not the best option (you tube skid loader tricks ). She now wants one at home for her use ( I know I screwed up. ... ) I have put around 30 hrs on the Gehl and I like it but it rides rough. ... if I buy her one I will also be using it in my business, but I would like to smooth out the ride some and increase traction , any thoughts?

lumberjack

There is already a counterweight under the engine plus the rear bumper/cast counterweight. Removing the fluid from the rear tires would improve the ride some, but I don't know that it would be appreciable aside from in your head. The AL540 has plenty of power to get the back end off the ground, especially with the tilt cylinder.

There is an air ride option on the seat that may be worth looking into. I've got a customer in Midland, MI with 3 540s and 2 140s, small world after all!

Dr. Ernie

The little loader is a power house, like I said I like it just the ride is rough. I get to use it when some serious excavation needs to be done and I do not feel like bringing in my equipment. AND I get to do some repairs on the little bugger just because my wife has a nice smile. ....

I have looked it over and I feel that I can keep the same capacities with wheel weights and a weight plate or two in the correct places. I don't want to necessary add to the counter weight as that will change the handling of the unit and the balance as the little buggers have a tendency to fall over on a slope.

Dr. Ernie

I wonder wjo the customer in Midland is, are they part of a large corporation?

I have a good friend who doesn't like to work on the Gehl loaders, he may even work on the units you sold. The biggest problem we have had has been hoses, someone had the crimp specs off a fuzz at the factory and, hose abrasion issues, they lasted long enough to make it past the warranty period. His other grip is the metric fittings, I actually like the metric fittings, other than the price (I have 2 Menzi Muck machines and 2 Manitou loaders). I have tremendous access to whatever hyd fittings I could ever need.

lumberjack

No large corporation, it's a tree service owned by two brothers; I should be seeing them next week in Pittsburgh.

Abraded hoses I've seen, but not crimps failing. I take care of whatever issues they send our way, the most expensive being a front axle on a 140 that was running duals front and rear. The axle kept breaking shafts, we thought it was due to beating wear causing misalignment, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Dr. Ernie

So you can sell anywhere? The guy that I worked with when the wife bought one for her work has passed so I need to find a new dealer, they are discussing getting a new one.

lumberjack

Yessir. I actually work for a living with my other company doing residential tree removal, industrial mowing/mulching, some demolition, etc. I started selling equipment for commissions back in 2012 selling for a dealership in MN who is a Gehl AL dealer. In 2014 I started Compact Equipment Store.com, and this year I've put some effort into it which has shown a great return. I still sell for the other dealership as well as them selling for me. We will be in Pittsburgh tomorrow through Saturday at a trade show.

One of my objectives for this winter is to put some more effort into the website so it can continue to grow. It accounted for all of CES's sales last year, this year with my time and energy being put towards it, the website sales have grown almost 50% and now only account for 1/12 of my gross sales. www.compactequipmentstore.com