1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Gehl 553 lift cylinder leaking at seal

Discussion in 'Forklifts/Telehandlers' started by Gehl 553, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Gehl 553

Gehl 553 Member

I have a Gehl 553 telehandler with a leaking main lift cylinder (1 of 3 ) on right side of main boom. I have heard from mechanic that you have to loosen a valve on bottom of cylinder in order to dismantle cylinder. He also said if you are not careful a bolt will shoot out. Does anyone here have any experience with this cylinder. I would like to rebuild it myself but I do have a need for more info. Thanks

2. MarshallPowerGen

MarshallPowerGen Senior Member

Generator & Equipment Mechanic
    The cylinder will have a holding valve you will need to remove before you can take the gland nut off. We always used our longest ratchet and put a bucket or oil drain pan over in case it wanted to shoot off across the shop. Some will blast off and some will just unscrew without any issue.

You get real nervous when they start spinning out easy and then suddenly tighten up at the end...:eek:

BigWrench55 likes this.
  3. Gehl 553

Gehl 553 Member

Hey thanks for the information. Another question or two: 1. Should I leave bottom of cylinder attached to lift 2. How much pressure will it take to pull apart?

4. MarshallPowerGen

It's been a couple of years since I've worked on one of those, but IIRC you should be able to leave the bottom half attached and do it on the machine if you don't have a cylinder bench/pipe vise available. Don't remember if you can get the top end clear with the forks on the ground, or if you'll need some C-channel to safety the other side with the boom up (and a crane/forklift for additional backup doesn't hurt).

No clue what you'll be up against as far as getting the upper pin out and the gland nut loose. Some are a hammer, pipe wrench and gland nut socket. Some take a torch, sawed off sledge and a .498 air hammer.

5. Gehl 553

Gehl 553 Member

I have a feeling that I should go ahead and tackle this job, hope it goes good. I will probably need torch,sledge hammer and .498 with my luck.
    I think the local mechanic told me to raise up and block boom up. That is the normal way they do it. He talked like once you get holding valve and gland nut, upper pin
    etc.. off , it still takes a come along or something to pull the rod out of the housing. Is that normal for a large cylinder?
    As far as a crane for backup I have a TC33d 33hp New Holland tractor with loader ha ha. I will probably drive lift back to my shop 10 miles this weekend. Hope I don't lose to much fluid , could I use regular pipe plugs to block off cylinders or are they a special thread? Thanks again for all your answers

6. MarshallPowerGen

Most likely will be JIC or flat face fittings versus pipe. Come along/chain hoist is pretty normal for getting the rod out. Is it leaking while running, or only while operating the boom?

7. Gehl 553

Gehl 553 Member

Hello again, It leaks when running ,even for a while after engine shut down. I would guess about a drop per second. Maybe I will tie something around it to catch fluid.
    Too bad diesel is 6 bucks a gallon here in eastern Ia. :( I don't know how much hydraulic fluid is. I did some research on fittings ,wow that's a can of worms.
    I will drive over to the jobsite today and PB blast all my pins and such today, check oil, coolant levels, tires before I make the trek home (shop) this weekend.
    Might take some pics also. Thanks again and have a good 4th

8. Gehl 553

Gehl 553 Member

IMG_20220714_103211371_HDR.jpg IMG_20220714_103016848_HDR.jpg IMG_20220714_103016848_HDR.jpg IMG_20220714_103016848_HDR.jpg
    I took some pics ,The picture of the bottom of cylinder shows bolt with an Allen screw and lock nut. I backed out screw about 4 turns and then went back in all the way, then I noticed fluid coming out, which let me release pressure on cylinder. Then I was able to compress cylinder enough to get the top of it out of the top bracket.
    Now does that lower bolt have to be removed? (the one holding Allen screw) It has about a 3/4 inch nut around a bolt with an Allen screw inside of the bolt.

9. Gehl 553

Gehl 553 Member

IMG_0703.JPG IMG_0704.JPG I just want to clarify my last question (now does lower bolt have to be removed?) I should have asked, Is their anything else that has to be removed before I pull the main rod out of the cylinder? Note: I did remove the bolt ,locknut and Allen screw . It had a couple of 0-rings that were not in very good shape. Makes me wonder if that was what was making it leak out the top seal. Here is a pic of ibolt/Allen and 0-rings. You can see middle one is tore.