• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gehl 2500 crank but no start

toneee

Hi,
I recently got a used , okay maybe very used Gehl 2500 skid steer. It started fine when loading, I was able to unload it, but thats it, it died right after that. Engine is cranking, but its not starting. Smoke is comes out when i crank it. Also I hear a clicking sound from the fuel pump. I opened the hose after the filter and it seems like whenever key is in ACC , the pump would pump fuel.

I did notice that there was fuel on the engine block after unloading. Could it be that the pump has flooded the engine? The machine still an Onan engine.

Any tips on how to get it started?

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
I'm guessing gas Onan since you mentioned flooding the engine? I'd start with pulling spark plugs to see what they look like and check for good spark. Follow those back to the coil (and perhaps points depending on the vintage of the engine). I'd also be checking compression if possible, since no one ever does the valve adjustments on these engines (I've worked on more than I can count between RV Generators, welders and tractors, and they're never done). If the data tag is still on the engine, throw the model up and I'll see if I have a manual saved.

toneee

Engine is Gasoline. I thought engine would flood because even if key is in ACC but not yet started, there is fuel going inside. I saw fuel coming inside the parts in picture "oil cap". I looked at one spark plug, the one easier to remove, and it looked a little wet. There was good spark from what I noticed.
I drained the engine oil and it smelled gasoline-ish. I put clean new oil, but the engine was still not starting. I have recharged the battery due to it running down from the multiple trials of ign on.

Is the filter supposed to look like that? There is "hair" inside the mesh.
I have also attached a picture of the label, i hope it gives the right info for the engine.

Thanks for the quick reply Marshall.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
  • oil cap.jpg
    oil cap.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • onan label.jpg
    onan label.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 9

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
The furry material is normal for that oil bath style air cleaner.

You're definitely having carburetor issues if the electric fuel pump is pushing fuel past the needle and seat. Carbs don't play well with the cheap ethanol gasoline and over time (especially sitting) parts will stick and gum up pretty bad. After you determine what model of carb it has, your biggest hurdle might be finding what's available for a kit or replacement parts (or a knockoff carb). We've had decent luck taking them apart and cleaning them out with carb cleaner and welding tip cleaners. Problem with some was the lid to bowl gaskets were no longer available and having to build a replacement from scratch. Again, it all depends on which carb is on there.

toneee

Attached is the carburetor for my Gehl .. in case someone needs numbers but theirs doesnt have them.
Thanks for your valuable input Marshall, I will try and clean carburetor and see what happens. If you happen to find the right engine manual I would appreciate a fwd. Who know what issues will I have next.

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4