• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gearing up for side work

Vetech63

I guess I'm pretty lucky here . Not much of what you said applies to me.
I never look for work it's more of a try to get away from too much work. If I dont know the phone number I let it go to voicemail. In fact I very seldom answer while I'm working.
My wife does the paperwork taxes and parts pickup we have always lived on single income even when I was company employed.
We live in Canada so we have health care supplied
We are able to charge more per hour here the dealer is at 180 field and they usually aren't very well trained.
I do bill time for parts lookup and other lost time
All tools and equipment are a tax write off and I would buy a lot of tools doing company work too.
I have no leases or payments , everything is paid for as I go. Accounting tells me when I need to spend more to cut taxes.

I do realize that very few people are in the position I'm in and not everybody would have lots of work but you need to look after yourself or it isn't worth it. There is certainly a level of comfort that comes with company work but the profit margin here is definitely higher being self employed
I guess I'm lucky also. I have never had to beat the bushes for work. I get work by word of mouth moreso than any advertising I could pay for. I have had many customer recommendations to others they either work with of for.........so many that I have to tell them to slow it down because I get too far behind. I don't see a lot of lost time either. My computer/paperwork is done every day in just a few minutes, my scans for parts doesn't take long, and my wife also does all the bookwork and keeps everything nice and neat for my CPA.
If your going to work a 40 hour week for just labor alone, you will not make decent money. I have to bill for travel time, mileage, supply costs, etc.... My biggest advantage against my dealer competitors is response time and knowledge. If you call Cat here for field service, your waiting at least a week and the other dealers aren't any better. Ive also found many times that I personally know more about the equipment than a lot of them do, with the exception of them being able to hook a computer into their systems. Too many times have a seen an issue be misdiagnosed by the field techs that come out......and it is quite often.
I am usually able to be on scene within 48 hours, 24 hours if its local to me. The customers are greatly appreciative of this alone, and I guess I'm also a good people person. I can usually give them options on repairs that dealers don't do.
I will admit that I do have an hourly rate, but it is hardly ever used anymore. I do most work by quote, bid, or flat rate now days. Most customers don't want to have their checkbooks "open" to an hourly rate here. Most all of them want to know what they will be spending to make a repair, especially my county, city, and state governments. I constantly am competing with the equipment dealers here and normally will win a job 80% of the time.
Maybe I'm lucky.........but the biggest reason is the FACT that customer service provided by the dealers here has gone by the way side. Opportunities are abound here for someone that wants to work and treats their customers fair.

Wes J

I'm sure it's different in a high profit industry like oil and gas or mining. We just don't have that around here. It's cheap skate farmers and small trucking and excavating outfits. The bigger construction outfits are all union and an independent guy usually can't touch them.

That or I'm doing it all wrong. Probably am.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I'm sure it's different in a high profit industry like oil and gas or mining. We just don't have that around here. It's cheap skate farmers and small trucking and excavating outfits. The bigger construction outfits are all union and an independent guy usually can't touch them.

I know a couple independent mechanics that joined the operators union and pay their benefits on themselves. They do a ton of work for the area's union contractors and also work on commercial clients equipment in the refineries, paper mills, and the like. They get the union health insurance, pay into their own 401K, and pension so they come out fine. They still set the hourly fee they charge the client. Might be worth checking to see if the local in your neighborhood has a like program.

Wes J

Anything involving a union would the worst case scenario. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I'm baffled that you could be self employed and be part of a union. Who are you unionizing against?

Crummy

I'd go on strike right away for working conditions and low pay.
Then I'd probably hire myself on as a scab.
Then I'd have to go out and picket at the gate in front of the shop....

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Anything involving a union would the worst case scenario. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

There is nothing wrong with making a living wage. Non union companies have historically not been cheaper to the customer with the same work. It often the owners that do not share as well and the employees end up with less pay. often do not collect their due overtime and often have little or no benefits. To each his own, it is a choice. Good luck.

Concerning the comment about the moderators shutting this post done. No one on this post has been dis-respectable to anyone else, nor should they. Different points of view are allowed as long as we all act like adults. This forum is about sharing information and should be allowed to do so.

Last edited:

Crummy

Can't be any worse than the arguments I get in with myself. 1/2 my working life has been union & 1/2 non, both have been good/bad. Even I don't know what side I'll take day-to-day.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Family situation came up right after I posted.

I don't have a shop (or even a yard) so I'm kind of thinking more along the lines of an arrangement where the customer supplies the parts (ie oil, filters, etc) and I simply just travel to their yard to do the service work and minor repairs (tail lights, wiring, etc). I figure if they're supplying the parts and such, I'll only be out for my time and not on the hook for $500 worth of oil and filters as well.

Vetech63

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Family situation came up right after I posted.

I don't have a shop (or even a yard) so I'm kind of thinking more along the lines of an arrangement where the customer supplies the parts (ie oil, filters, etc) and I simply just travel to their yard to do the service work and minor repairs (tail lights, wiring, etc). I figure if they're supplying the parts and such, I'll only be out for my time and not on the hook for $500 worth of oil and filters as well.
If that will satisfy you, then go for it. Make sure you charge travel time and mileage, it adds up quickly if you travel far and you cant give away what you are having to pay for yourself. If you do good work and treat the customer fairly......bigger and better opportunities will come, whether you want it of not.

Vetech63

What you are dealing with might not be the ideal scenario. I am from generations of small farmers. My father told me years ago that his parents farm only made a profit 1 year that he can remember. Its hard work just to break even......and some of the repairs they made on equipment would make anyone scratch their head in disbelief. If it wasn't held together with baling wire, it was taped. Sounds like you need to pull some of the area dealers work for yourself, its not difficult to do if you have the knowledge and experience. Tooling may be a problem on some jobs but you have to get going somehow. Ide be watching for the dealer service rigs and seeing where they are going. You may be surprised how many of their customers would love to have other options.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
If that will satisfy you, then go for it. Make sure you charge travel time and mileage, it adds up quickly if you travel far and you cant give away what you are having to pay for yourself. If you do good work and treat the customer fairly......bigger and better opportunities will come, whether you want it of not.

I'm not looking to get into anything much deeper than that at this point. I work 7/7 so I only really want 1 or 2 little jobs here and there to keep me out of trouble on my 7 off.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I was just telling someone today>> I love this, "not going to work" thing..
I get up at 5 or earlier.. drink coffee & play w/ the dogs & wife, until SHE goes to work at 10..
Then I get up & start my day..
IF I don't have pump work.. I have a "honey-do" list, that takes up my day.
& start all over again the next day..
It "feels like" side work to me, when I get a pump..

partsandservice

How would your current employer feel about the side work? I have seen several times where the guy doing side work was all or a sudden self-employed. I like being self-employed.

pajibson

I have seen this topic come up before and I never tire of reading the replies. I only have a couple of years left before my current employer(government) puts me out to pasture and have been wrestling with the "go on my own or work for someone else question for a bit. I have a fairly good bit of a clientele built up with my side work so that is the direction I am leaning. However I realize that part of the reason its been so good is because I have the pay and benefits of the full time employment. Much to drink on...I mean think on. thank you gents.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Speakin of drinkin'... Its AMAZING how much I DONT DRINK once I quit workin.!!!!
I'd be willing to bet that Budweiser{A-B} stock went DOWN after December 2017..?? lol
I'll have to do alittle research..

What did you decide to do 92 ?? Did you start your side bus.??