• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gas Mileage

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Quick question pertaining to my search for a truck. Do older trucks have better MPG? The old man was saying his '87 F-150 got on average 18 MPG. Two of my friends have '97 150s and get about 11 or 12 MPG. :confused:

If it's true, I'm suspecting environmental regulations and cleaner engines reducing possible MPG. :bash

Lee-online

My 99 f150 with the 5.4 (330ci) gets 13 on average but will get 16 on highway with cruise control. My old 82 bronco with a 351w and a c6 got less than 10. My 78 scout with a 348 got less than that.

Technology has improved in every aspect and has improved overall fuel mileage.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I have a '95 F-250 Supercab as a second vehicle, with a 351, 5-speed, geared LOW, that consistently gets 15 MPG around town and to/from work (20 miles each way highway). If I run it much over about 60 MPH, the fuel economy does suffer.

I had a '99 F-150 Supercab 4X4 with a 4.6 automatic that consistently got around 16.5, fighting the heavy winds in the Miswest.

I also had an '88 F-150 with a 300 Six and 5-speed manual that consistently hit 19 MPG. I should have never sold it.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
For the most part they get better other then diesels of coarse.

Our 07 Tahoe gets 17-19 at 75-80 I know of many guys that get ~20 with the newer 1500s.

dirty4fun

My F250 with a V-10 is getting 13.6 till I put the goosenck behind it then it drops to around 9. It would seem they could all be better, makes me wonder if the manufactures aren't getting a kick back from the oil companies. if a semi weighing 80K gets around 8, it would seem a pickup could do a lot better than they do.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
99 Ford F350 with powerstroke diesel and 6 speed standard gets almost 21 on the road.

grandpa

2011 Super Duty with the new Ford 6.7 is getting 17.3 average just driving around town,,,, the truck now has 325 miles on it..... wow, what a ride/

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
It would seem they could all be better, makes me wonder if the manufactures aren't getting a kick back from the oil companies. if a semi weighing 80K gets around 8, it would seem a pickup could do a lot better than they do.

Hope you had your tinfoil hat on when you said that.:rolleyes:

cat980

COPPA
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
97 ford f250 powerstroke diesel gets 18 around town and 20 highway

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
grandpa, is it true you can't get a six speed standard with the new Ford Powerstroke? If so, my 35 year love affair with Ford pickup trucks is over.

grandpa

grandpa, is it true you can't get a six speed standard with the new Ford Powerstroke? If so, my 35 year love affair with Ford pickup trucks is over.

Its true greg... no manuels offered behind the diesel. Its the first automatic i've ever had.... one impressive truck. I took it on a hundred mile road trip today,,, and it averaged 21.3 mpg. Good enough for grampa....... Go give one a test drive greg ,, ,the truck will take ur breath away.

IHJIM

My '70 International 1200, 304v8, automatic, gets around 14mpg. My '74 International 200, 4x4, 392v8, 4speed, gets 7mpg.

Jim

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Its true greg... no manuels offered behind the diesel. Its the first automatic i've ever had.... one impressive truck. I took it on a hundred mile road trip today,,, and it averaged 21.3 mpg. Good enough for grampa....... Go give one a test drive greg ,, ,the truck will take ur breath away.

Better yet get a new GM Duramax and blow you mind, but again no manual. I think even Dodge did way with theirs or is going to. Really unless you can't live without rowing gears the newer autos are better any ways.

grandpa

Better yet get a new GM Duramax and blow you mind, but again no manual. I think even Dodge did way with theirs or is going to. Really unless you can't live without rowing gears the newer autos are better any ways.

I did try out the new Duramax, very nice truck but the Super Duty had more power by quit a bit and got quit a bit better fuel milage doing it...... either one are nice trucks.

grandpa

I did try out the new Duramax, very nice truck but the Super Duty had more power by quit a bit and got quit a bit better fuel milage doing it...... either one are nice trucks.

Quite* got to fix it or OCR the spelling police will tickit me.....bawah h hah hahaa

tctractors

The cost of Road Diesel in the U.K. is now £1.45 a litre, for Farm Diesel (Red Diesel) this is Taxed at a low rate and is used in Construction machinery, a good price is about £.70 pence a litre, at these prices your Dodges and Ford's would be rare things on the roads, the new thing is Hy-brid cars, bit of an engine with a bit of an electric motor, soon in the U.K. we will be like the Flintstones, they had a Car but it was sort of scuffed along with their feet, the price you are paying for fuel is very low, enjoy it while it last's.
tctractors

Lee-online

One of the reasons fuel is expensive in England is because of the taxes imposed on it by the government. Here in the US they also tax it, just not as much as England and Europe.
That "free" health care, it isn't so free is it.