• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gas line job.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
d4, Debeading is not required for any of the gas companies or customers we have had. Mostly anything 8" and up would be self driven units. TO me it would seem futile & more work to tote around a non manual unit to fuse piping for anything 4" and down. Keep in mind here in the US double jointing (40') is very common vs a 20' stick of pipe - this requires a lot less field joints to be fused.
would not be text book for the UK though , do you debead internal and external for gas in the US

you would not see a manual one in use nowadays here

d4c24a

d4, Debeading is not required for any of the gas companies or customers we have had. Mostly anything 8" and up would be self driven units. TO me it would seem futile & more work to tote around a non manual unit to fuse piping for anything 4" and down. Keep in mind here in the US double jointing (40') is very common vs a 20' stick of pipe - this requires a lot less field joints to be fused.

the machines we use will do from 63 mm up to 250 mm ,after that its usually the tracstar if there is enough pipe to weld we have sticks up to 18 metres /60ft for some jobs
although it depends on room available as space is at a premium in the UK especially when working in towns /housing estates
not much of a problem to carry an auto unit round ,we nearly always have a genny with us , and there is room in the van to fit the fusion gear easy enough :)
surprised you do not have to debead though

cheers graham

JBGASH

Occupation
d4, what are the testing requirements & procedures in the UK for poly natural gas piping? Does the tracstar debead after the fuse? or is another tool required?
Best Regards, Jeff
the machines we use will do from 63 mm up to 250 mm ,after that its usually the tracstar if there is enough pipe to weld we have sticks up to 18 metres /60ft for some jobs
although it depends on room available as space is at a premium in the UK especially when working in towns /housing estates
not much of a problem to carry an auto unit round ,we nearly always have a genny with us , and there is room in the van to fit the fusion gear easy enough :)
surprised you do not have to debead though

cheers graham

JDOFMEMI

I am curious about the debeading as well. How do you debead the inside, and why is it needed?

d4c24a

I am curious about the debeading as well. How do you debead the inside, and why is it needed?

the need for internal debeading on gas and water is for flow ,sewerage is to stop media build up on beads

external beads are removed and check ,the width of a bead is checked and should be within parameters of the pipe being welded
the bend back test will show up and cracking or failure within the bead and the subsequent joint

internal debeader
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM6fZua63jI

external
http://www.advancewelding.co.uk/pro.../external-debeaders-63-900-mm-advance-welding

much more info here
http://www.pipeline-conference.com/sites/default/files/papers/ptc_2012_OConnor.pdf

we very rarely bedead on water , but most of the gas is debeaded

cheers graham

Nelsonequip

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts & service
Looking at the pictures.....I know right where your at......they have some BIG iron there.
Mike

JBGASH

Occupation
Nelsonequip, You are correct there is some very large equipment at that location and very good people.
Looking at the pictures.....I know right where your at......they have some BIG iron there.
Mike