• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion roller engine ID ?

koalamotorsport

Picked up this Galion. No model markings or serial number / ID plate to be found. Came from a scrap yard in Cleveland so has probably been stolen 5 times since new.

Needs a water pump and I can't ID the engine. I thought the machine was a Galion S5-3B based on pictures found on the interwebs, but everything I find on that model says 3 cylinder engine. This is a 4 cylinder diesel in this machine. Sorry for the potato photos, but it was extremely bright outside and extremely dark in the engine bay.
IMG_20210803_115400.jpg IMG_20210803_115445.jpg IMG_20210803_115521.jpg IMG_20210803_115807.jpg

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Looks like a Perkins engine but if possible get some more photos. The original 3 cylinder engine could have been Perkins as well.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I seem to recall some of those having International engines in them. I don't recall seeing any Perkins engines in anything in the time frame that old dog was born.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I seem to recall some of those having International engines in them. I don't recall seeing any Perkins engines in anything in the time frame that old dog was born.

Galion was famous or notorious for putting in whatever engine was available and would fit in the hole. I rebuilt a Waukesha gasser in a 4-6 Galion years back. A place I worked at had a 10 ton with a 4BT Cummins in it.
You’re right though, they really liked IH engines. Likely the proximity of the Springfield IH plant and Galions art-deco factory was a big factor.