• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GALION a606 brake bleeders

bsamot69

Occupation
Retired to Ranching
My attempt to bleed the brakes on our GALION a 606 has been thwarted. I tried every wrench from 10mm(too small) to 12mm(too big) and every wrench from 3/8 to 7/16, including 11/32 with no joy.
Can someone enlighten me on this? Does it require a special application wrench? I searched a bit and figure on saving the frustration and ask the wise sages here. Thank you in advance

.RC.

About the only other head sizes would be whitworth. I would think that unlikely, but you never know what they used or someone put on there.

Dave Neubert

Probably rusted down did you try driving a socket on there or sometimes you can use a Torx socket . all else fails vise grips or weld a nut on it

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Dealt with this before, going to end up either vise grips or welding a nut around the bleeder heads remove them and replace them all.

Vetech63

6 point socket of one of those should work. You may need to find the closest fit that is a bit small and drive it down on the bleeder. Dont use a 12 point socket.

bsamot69

Occupation
Retired to Ranching
I appreciate your help. They are indeed rusted down and previously stripped. There is so very little room in that space, I foresee a true adventure.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Is always remove the drum and brake cylinder, get the right parts and fix it correctly.

Silveroddo

Can you get the line loose? in a pinch, or on a farm machine I've had luck getting the line cracked and using a suction gun to get fluid that far in the line, set the line loose and "bleed" it via the line. Its not text book and its a temporary solution but sometimes it gets the job done.

bsamot69

Occupation
Retired to Ranching
I ended up doing something similar. I attached pressure bleeder and cracked the fitting bolt to back of backing plate. Got a spongy pedal, that's something better than it was, thanks for the tip.