• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 503G 1801

Working on my Galion 503G number 1801. The seal is leaking on the front of the hydraulic pump. This unit does not have power steering. It looks like there is some sort of adapter between the pump and transmission. Anyone have any info on the pumps? All I can find info on is the newer models with power steering. Also does anyone know did the models go 503G 503A 503L? Thanks upload_2020-8-15_22-43-18.jpeg

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
The models did go G, A, then L. The pump drive on 503's were a weak point on them, a leak there is sorta common. Is the leak hyd. or is it trans oil? You may well want to pull the adapter off the trans to install a new bearing and seal. While you have the adapter off, braze a pipe coupler over the drain hole and install a short hose a little lower than the brake band. Lastly a pump off a later model with P/S "should" fit, with maybe mods to the hoses. The extra GPM will be welcome for the functions.

The models did go G, A, then L. The pump drive on 503's were a weak point on them, a leak there is sorta common. Is the leak hyd. or is it trans oil? You may well want to pull the adapter off the trans to install a new bearing and seal. While you have the adapter off, braze a pipe coupler over the drain hole and install a short hose a little lower than the brake band. Lastly a pump off a later model with P/S "should" fit, with maybe mods to the hoses. The extra GPM will be welcome for the functions.
I just assumed it was hydraulic fluid leaking. There is a small rectangular hole on the bottom side of where the adapter and pump hook together. This is where it is coming from. It’s not horrible just annoying. Am I opening a can of Worms tearing it apart, or is it worth it to fix. Also, the only place to check the trans oil I can find is on the very back of the drive housing. There is a pipe plug at an angle about 1/3 of the way up. Does this fill do the transmission and differential?

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
I just assumed it was hydraulic fluid leaking. There is a small rectangular hole on the bottom side of where the adapter and pump hook together. This is where it is coming from. It’s not horrible just annoying. Am I opening a can of Worms tearing it apart, or is it worth it to fix. Also, the only place to check the trans oil I can find is on the very back of the drive housing. There is a pipe plug at an angle about 1/3 of the way up. Does this fill do the transmission and differential?
Well it all depends on a few factors, is this a hobby level machine or more serious? A company I worked at a few years ago used a heavily modded A as a front line grader with a repowered G as a secondary grader and a repowered L to use on the plant site to keep the roads and lot smooth.
The pump can be difficult to remove because the drive splines will get a groove in them causing them to lock together, this also means the splines are getting well worn, as in approaching a strip out. If it's a hobby machine, maybe just live with it leaking, but that also means no brakes due to the wet brake band. That's why when I had one apart, I brazed a pipe coupler over the drain hole for a drain hose past the brake band.
The transaxle oil is the angled plug on the bottom rear, fill it up to it and it is full. I would recommend some Lucas to help the oil climb up the gears to the top.
DO NOT idle these for extended periods of time, the upper shafts won't oil unless the machine is moving in gear!
The tandem chain cases are supposed to be separate oil from the transaxle, but a leaking seal can cause an internal leak. There is a plug on the side of these a few inches up to fill to, again a little Lucas will help.

I just assumed it was hydraulic fluid leaking. There is a small rectangular hole on the bottom side of where the adapter and pump hook together. This is where it is coming from. It’s not horrible just annoying. Am I opening a can of Worms tearing it apart, or is it worth it to fix.
Well it all depends on a few factors, is this a hobby level machine or more serious? A company I worked at a few years ago used a heavily modded A as a front line grader with a repowered G as a secondary grader and a repowered L to use on the plant site to keep the roads and lot smooth.
The pump can be difficult to remove because the drive splines will get a groove in them causing them to lock together, this also means the splines are getting well worn, as in approaching a strip out. If it's a hobby machine, maybe just live with it leaking, but that also means no brakes due to the wet brake band. That's why when I had one apart, I brazed a pipe coupler over the drain hole for a drain hose past the brake band.
The transaxle oil is the angled plug on the bottom rear, fill it up to it and it is full. I would recommend some Lucas to help the oil climb up the gears to the top.
DO NOT idle these for extended periods of time, the upper shafts won't oil unless the machine is moving in gear!
The tandem chain cases are supposed to be separate oil from the transaxle, but a leaking seal can cause an internal leak. There is a plug on the side of these a few inches up to fill to, again a little Lucas will help.
thank you for all the help. Definitely a hobby machine for now, more of a project for my son and I to work on. The dream would be to repower it with a small jd diesel or Cummins. Once again thank you