• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 150 Refurbish

BobCatBob

Bob , does the boom head have any pin boss locations to dead end the cable when using the block ?

Hi TD25c..........no it doesn't. The crane was made in the 70's.......back then I believe the block (like this one) was where the dead end of the cable attaches. The manual shows this procedure, but nothing about attaching to boom head.

BobCatBob

I'm not a crane guy but are you sure you should grease the cables? I have owned over 20 wing snowplow trucks over the years. We used to grease the cables every year. A few guys told me not to as the grease actually holds the moisture in. For the last 5 years or so we just spray them with cable lube from Napa. The amount of broken cables has been greatly reduced. I don't think we've broken one in the last three years. It used to be 1 to 2 per year. I'm interested to here what others say??

Me too! The manuals I have say to grease the cable vs. lube with a light oil.

td25c

Hi TD25c..........no it doesn't. The crane was made in the 70's.......back then I believe the block (like this one) was where the dead end of the cable attaches. The manual shows this procedure, but nothing about attaching to boom head.

Gotcha Bob , you just dead end at the block when it's in use .

Nice work on the machine !

walkerv

Me too! The manuals I have say to grease the cable vs. lube with a light oil.

I worked on a few cranes at my previous job with a demo company we used some kind of a teflon containing cable lube we sprayed on with a garden sprayer, the lube has to be thin enough to get into the inside of the cable it prevents rust as a side effect it is to actually lubricate the wires as they work , new cable is already lubricated, we lubed all the cranes that were local every 6 months I think If im remembering rite

BobCatBob

Got er figured out! Reset the wedge in the block, set the live end correctly, and found a 180 degree twist in the rope......so straightened it out......good to go!

Did a test lift on the front of an Army truck, used a dynamometer to measure weight......was an 8,000 Lb lift. Lifted without any hesitation at idle rpm, drum brake held like a champ........success!!

Sorry for the crappy Iphone pics.....they were taken at twilight.

Truck Lift 1.jpg

Truck Lift 2.jpg

td25c

That's great Bob ! I imagine it feels good to get to this stage on the project .

Sounds like the test went well .

I did the same thing with my cranes . Grab something of known weight out in the yard & get used to the machine , swinging , boom up & down , ect . Last test I shut the crane off with a load on the hook & hop out & walk around the machine looking it over . let it hang for about an hour to get an idea how outriggers & cylinders are holding .

Looks great Bob:thumbsup

BobCatBob

That's great Bob ! I imagine it feels good to get to this stage on the project .

Sounds like the test went well .

I did the same thing with my cranes . Grab something of known weight out in the yard & get used to the machine , swinging , boom up & down , ect . Last test I shut the crane off with a load on the hook & hop out & walk around the machine looking it over . let it hang for about an hour to get an idea how outriggers & cylinders are holding .

Looks great Bob:thumbsup

Thanks Td25c

I'll do that....static test and see if I have any leak down. All cylinders have been rebuilt (except steering and main). Knowing that it's an 8,000 lb load , I'll boom all sections out a bit , boom up and see if she holds solid.

I would love to try lifting the truck up (it's 26,000 lbs) but the spreader platform they use is specific to the truck.....but would be a good test as the limit on this machine is 30,000 Lb.

td25c

Another approach is jam all the boom out with something light ( small block chevy engine ) . Stay inside the chart of coarse with whatever you are picking . Lift it a few feet off the ground then shut the engine down simulating a failure of some kind ? Say the blower shaft snaps during a pick . This gives you an idea about cylinder drift & how much time you have .

LOL ! I need to quit thinking so negative .:)

BobCatBob

Another approach is jam all the boom out with something light ( small block chevy engine ) . Stay inside the chart of coarse with whatever you are picking . Lift it a few feet off the ground then shut the engine down simulating a failure of some kind ? Say the blower shaft snaps during a pick . This gives you an idea about cylinder drift & how much time you have .

LOL ! I need to quit thinking so negative .:)

Not at all!! That is exactly how I think.....the "what if" scenario......prepare for the worst, expect the best. Mr. Murphy can present himself at any time, so running the crane through a test period to check all the work I've done.....excellent idea. I did note the winch brake does slip under light loads, but with the recent lift......held with no issue.

Knepptune

Heck of a job on that rebuild. I've got a crane you need for your next project. Lol

I'm sure you'll be amazed how often you'll need a crane once your completely done with it.

BobCatBob

Heck of a job on that rebuild. I've got a crane you need for your next project. Lol

I'm sure you'll be amazed how often you'll need a crane once your completely done with it.

Thanks Knepptune

This has been an incredible journey, but about 2000+ hrs of work/fun. I spent most weekends and vacations working on it.......and am now ready for a new challenge (rebuilding a Snow Cat). I still have more to go on this beauty.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Thanks Knepptune

This has been an incredible journey, but about 2000+ hrs of work/fun. I spent most weekends and vacations working on it.......and am now ready for a new challenge (rebuilding a Snow Cat). I still have more to go on this beauty.

You going to share pictures of the Snow Cat too? Bet some of the guys here have to do a Google search for that, probably think it's a D8H painted white!

td25c

I spent most weekends and vacations working on it.......and am now ready for a new challenge (rebuilding a Snow Cat). .

Now just hang on one dang minute ....... You got HEF members in line already for rebuild & new paint on equipment .

Don't go puttin that Snow Cat at the front of the line . :D;)

Keep up the good work Bob !

BobCatBob

Now just hang on one dang minute ....... You got HEF members in line already for rebuild & new paint on equipment .

Don't go puttin that Snow Cat at the front of the line . :D;)

Keep up the good work Bob !

Thanks TD25c and Kshansen!

Haha......I enjoy this type of work, purely for pleasure. It's almost as if I look forward to a problem developing, a challenge. I'm almost done with the crane.....and found a problem with the main crowd check valve (ordered a new one on Friday).....along with two new hoses for the valve (don't need it, but why not while I'm in there). I've got a few odds and ends left, but pretty much rebuilt the entire machine.....and had a ton of fun doing it (2000+ hours). I still haven't figured out how to slow down.....this is my therapy.....lol!

BobCatBob

Ran into a problem recently....Engine head was leaking coolant! Had the head rebuilt about two years ago....but the "pin" didn't hold under pressure......so, pulled the head, had a new one built for the 453, installed last weekend, runs like a top! I caught this early (noticed a few drops of coolant from the slobber tube)...no engine issues.

Now, I've got a problem with the main crowd cylinder to work on (replaced the check valve, cylinder still doesn't hold). A work in progress.

IMG_0031.JPG

Last edited:

BobCatBob

The main crowd cylinder is kaput! It would extend out no problem, but a no go on retraction. I replaced the check valve earlier this year thinking that was the problem, but after raising the boom.....and finding the cylinder would retract with power off.....meant only one thing : piston is shot (or it came off the rod!). I made a few calls, figured I could repair myself....but with no way to get to the gland nut (short of drilling a new hole).....a 1000# + cylinder needing removal.....Off to the hydraulic shop.

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

BobCatBob

Main crowd cylinder is repaired! The seals were completely worn out, so had them resealed, honed out the cylinder for some minor nicks.....all in all, not to shabby (I was expecting a problem with piston head the way the cylinder came down so fast when elevated).

IMG_0038.JPG

With the internal crowd cylinders, hoses and now the main crowd cylinder repaired.....time to button this beauty up! I put the hose guards back on the boom and rewound the cable on the reel (had a layer of cable that wasn't laying correctly, reeled all out but first layer.....pulled in with tension by "towing" off a truck hitch). Not perfect, but it worked well.

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

Having fun!

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Now wait just one second here! You were supposed to practice on my JCB backhoe before you started another project!

Rick