• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 150 Refurbish

BobCatBob

I am afraid to take my crane to Wisconsin,because I would have to drive with it through truck scales. But I am wondering, can some chain hoists under your rafters help you?

My pole barn is a stick build, rafters are 2x8's. Doing this type of work would need a 10 ton gantry.

I believe 294 to 94 from you.....absolutely legal. The road to get to me in WI would be 50 at Kenosha....and I believe you're legal the whole way. I have an M817 I took down 12 through Richmond, hit the scale there...no issue (my truck is good to 45k loaded). A crane on a low boy, not sure going via route 12.

Happy Thanksgiving.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
LOL an M817! I wouldn't want to drive one of them very far with the original seat! Not the best riding piece of equipment in the world! Can you post a few pictures of it for this old soldier?

Thanks

Rick

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Very cool Bob. But you can have them. I'm not a big fan of military trucks. Not after serving 20 year! At least I didn't have to mess with em too much. Besides the tanks were a lot more fun!!

Rick

BobCatBob

Had a low boy pick up the crane this weekend. After much research, doing the internal boom cylinders is outside of my "hobby" skills. The shop it's going to is a hydraulic shop, two gantry cranes....should be able to do the job no problem. I think the owner was a little shocked to see an old Galion with no rust, grease....everything working properly....except the boom cylinder. I showed him all the upgrades, new parts.....thought he was going to make me an offer for the machine..lol.

Having fun!

Next project is a Sw48 Bombardier snow cat with a ford 300. Should be a little easier.....tires don't weigh 500 lbs.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Had a low boy pick up the crane this weekend. After much research, doing the internal boom cylinders is outside of my "hobby" skills. The shop it's going to is a hydraulic shop, two gantry cranes....should be able to do the job no problem. I think the owner was a little shocked to see an old Galion with no rust, grease....everything working properly....except the boom cylinder. I showed him all the upgrades, new parts.....thought he was going to make me an offer for the machine..lol.

Having fun!

Next project is a Sw48 Bombardier snow cat with a ford 300. Should be a little easier.....tires don't weigh 500 lbs.

Hey I thought you were going to practice on my TLB?:jawdrop I'm even willing to let you have it till yer done rent free!:exactly

I looked at a snow cat a few years ago but the owner was a little high and wouldn't come down at all. It sold for less than I would have paid at auction a few years later after the old guy passed. Cool machine.

Rick

BobCatBob

Hey I thought you were going to practice on my TLB?:jawdrop I'm even willing to let you have it till yer done rent free!:exactly

I looked at a snow cat a few years ago but the owner was a little high and wouldn't come down at all. It sold for less than I would have paid at auction a few years later after the old guy passed. Cool machine.

Rick

Exactly. I've found a few who think their rusted, non working machines are worth more than its weight in gold. Unfortunately, those machines sit, never to see life again.

BobCatBob

Took the crane in to a local hydraulic shop to get the internal boom cylinders repacked. They used two gantry cranes to remove the boom, pulled the cylinders, installed new seals, shims...like brand new! They did a fantastic job, very reasonable for a weeks work.

image.jpeg

BobCatBob

Thanks Ichudov. A question I haven't been able to find a consistent answer on: What grease and what applicator is used on cable?

BobCatBob

Sum ting wong!

I installed the new cable over the weekend, lifted the Hook Block up........Hmmm....looks a little "twisted". I realized i placed the cable in the wedge socket backwards. Rookie mistake!

Hook1.JPG

The hardest part about replacing cable was getting the cable to lay correctly in the reel (as its hard to apply enough force to make the cable taught when reeling it up). As you'll see by the ladder, I had to feed it through the block and get it to come down the front pulley's while clearing the bars in front of the pulleys. I had grease all over me (used a 5 gallon tub, applied it by hand while sucking up the cable). Messy job, but got er done!!! Some touch up paint, a rework of the primary lift cable seal at the manifold (yes, I did this already, but noticed some hydo fluid coming up into the cab.....damn!)......and she's done!! 3 1/2 years later!

Having fun!

Attachments

• Hook.JPG
    Hook.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

td25c

Bob , does the boom head have any pin boss locations to dead end the cable when using the block ?

Attachments

• Hook1[1].JPG
    Hook1[1].JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 212

oarwhat

I'm not a crane guy but are you sure you should grease the cables? I have owned over 20 wing snowplow trucks over the years. We used to grease the cables every year. A few guys told me not to as the grease actually holds the moisture in. For the last 5 years or so we just spray them with cable lube from Napa. The amount of broken cables has been greatly reduced. I don't think we've broken one in the last three years. It used to be 1 to 2 per year. I'm interested to here what others say??