• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 125

cey146

Looking at buying an old 125, as a project. Needing to connect with someone having had experience with same machine. First problem, it has no brakes.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 140010211.jpg
    140010211.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 46

cey146

Looking at buying an old 125, as a project. Needing to connect with someone having had experience with same machine. First problem, it has no brakes.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20181028_171509.jpg
    20181028_171509.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • 20181022_160855.jpg
    20181022_160855.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30

cey146

I have got the old hooker home, and starting to look her over. Kinda rough around the edges, and she needs more than cosmetics.
First I need some help identifying her age, series, engine model, and anything else you'd be so kind to help me with. The motor is an IH 6 cyl. gas, and I need to know what the cu. in. is, that makes this old girl growl. Posting a couple of photos, hoping they will help.
Thank you very much.

cey146

Okay catman, I think you're correct.
Now, I need to replace the two belts on the IH UB264. They are old, stretched out, and one keeps getting thrown off. How, or where do I find out the belts which fit the application on the Galion 125?

Thanks for all the help I can get. I have a real project on my hands.

Attachments

• received_552365291858556.jpeg
    received_552365291858556.jpeg
    953.3 KB · Views: 17

catman13

Occupation
refrigeration engineer/excavation contractor
take the good 1 and go to Carqest or napa and match it up and get 2 new ones.
you may look at the old 1 and see if you can read a number .

crane operator

If there aren't any #'s for the belts, take a extension cord, wrap it around the pulleys and mark for length. Take a measurement with a tape measure of that length, then get a a or b width belt that length, and I usually pick up the one longer and shorter than the measurement. Hope you live close to the parts shop, because it might take more than one trip.

Bobcat bob has a nice write up on his restoration of his galion, you might learn something on a read through.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/galion-150-refurbish.36402/

cey146

20181113_155153.jpg Changing the two belts was quite a challenge, as the u-joints driving the hydraulic pump had to be disassembled.
Next up to be repaired.....get the main boom lift hydraulic cylinder rebuilt. Appears it will be a major undertaking, to get the very large cylinder to the ground, so I can take it in to the hydraulic shop.
Anyone have any experience they'd like to share?View attachment 188240 20181113_155212.jpg View attachment 188240
Thanks.

Last edited:

terex herder

If that little weep of oil bothers you you shouldn't own used equipment. Reread Petepilot's post.

Keep the expenditures to an absolute minimum until you have checked everything carefully and made some trial picks to see how it behaves. Make a list of everything you think needs fixed. Put a dollar number on each of the items. Total it up, double it, and see if you really want to sink that much money into the machine.

cey146

It is one drip per second, running off the belly of the machine, and makes a pretty good mess, on a daily basis.
I buy used equipment, knowing I'll have to make repairs. And, I always buy the equipment at a price, that will allow me to make right, what needs done. In my area, a person qualified, skilled, and safety conscious, can charge $200/hr., hoisting roof trusses.
As a Retiree, it's a portion of what I do to pass time, and provide a service.
My question was.... does anyone have experience removing the cylinder. I like this forum, because of the fact that I can usually find someone willing to offer help, in any positive way they can. Thank you to those persons.

crane operator

You're probably going to have to have another piece of equipment to lift the boom. The top pin comes out through the hole on the sides. After that pin is out, you raise the boom with a forklift/ another crane etc. After the boom is raised, you can pull out the steel block that's bolted in front of the cylinder, between the side plates. I'd do this all over the side of the crane with the jacks down.

After you have that plate out, you can tip the top of the cylinder forward, and let it down with a come a long or something. That's why you do it over the side, so you have room to tip the cylinder down.

Pull the bolts in the top of the barrel, and pull the rod and piston, reseal and reassemble. There's no reason to remove the whole cylinder, unless the barrel is scarred and needs honed.

That's how I was going to do mine anyways, I've looked at doing the one on my 150. I have a seal kit for mine, it just is a little damp by the upper wiper, and I decided it doesn't need done yet in mine.

I'm assuming the boom creeps down as its loosing oil?

cey146

Crane Operator,
You're exactly the type of person that guys like myself depend upon. Having looked at the project from all angles, with common sense and safety..... I agree with what you have stated.
The hydraulic oil leaks from the seal, directly around the ram. No scoring is evident. Your method of having it swung to the side, and tipping the cylinder downward is how I've envisioned taking on the task. Although, I thought it would be necessary to remove it completely. Do you have a suggestion as to where to get the rebuild kit?
I have a 6000# forklift, and several other pieces of equipment which may be of use. I'll also have a forklift Mechanic (brother) with 40 years experience, to call upon, if I get in a bind and need assistance.
Thank you very much for your expertise, sharing of knowledge, and advice. I look forward to your help in the future.

crane operator

These are the parts guys for galion's.

http://www.contractorscraneco.com/

I don't think Terex herder and petepilot were giving out bad advice or anything, the galions haven't been made in a while, and any old equipment can be a money pit. Its sometimes hard to figure out how much experience someone has when they start posting about a new piece of equipment, and the guys in the game all the time, understand the true costs of owning and maintaining the equipment. Those guys just don't want to see you sink a pile of $ in something, and then find out it has a non cost effective repair- like a bad turntable or bent boom section.

The galion's are a robust little machine, I use mine quite often, but its really not a truss setting machine. They are neither fast or smooth enough for it. That said, I did set a house truss set with mine this summer, because I couldn't get anything else in there, size wise. But if you're looking for a part time job setting trusses, there's probably not many rigs that would be less handy. Its not that they are a bad crane, that's just not the job they are designed for.

The reason the experts on them are in houston- that's where the refinery's are. That's where the galions really shine. Narrow, decent chart, pick and carry, small boom to fit in pipe racks. They are great for shut down/turn around maintence and repair.

cey146

Great reply, and I appreciate your wisdom. I have an opportunity with a company for setting trusses on large pole barn type buildings. Speed is not a concern, and there is plenty of room to work. There are very few persons around here, with a machine large enough to set 80' trusses. If the repairs are kept to a reasonable cost, I can pay for what I have in the machine, relatively fast. The guy I bought it from, bought it and used it for the same thing. He had one big building to erect on his farm, and got it done. He also sold his spreader to me.

cey146

The little weep of hydraulic oil has me busy dumping 5 gallon buckets full, into the tank. I've added three of them, thus far. Can someone please shed some light, as to what level the hydraulic oil needs to be, in the tank?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 20181114_085927.jpg
    20181114_085927.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 14

BobCatBob

The little weep of hydraulic oil has me busy dumping 5 gallon buckets full, into the tank. I've added three of them, thus far. Can someone please shed some light, as to what level the hydraulic oil needs to be, in the tank?
Thanks.

I had just checked my Hyraulic tank this past weekend (on the 150A).....dipstick shows ok starting at about 6” from top of tank with everything pulled in. I’ll bet the 125 and 150 are similar.