• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Galion 118B/ Cummins 743

Broken Bill

Suggestions please guys, I recently picked up 1972 Galion 118B, it has a Cummins H743C145 motor, eng # 734477, manufactured 5/70 with PT system, question is Cummins locals are having trouble finding details on model, as its not on computer & are saying its a NH 220, is this correct? as have blown a head gasket, thanks

excavator

A 743 cu. in. Cummins could be an NH-180, 195 or a 220 engine. Is there an ID plate on the left side in front of the fuel pump? The necessary info should be on there.

rayg59

Occupation
Grader operator
gday bill, Did you get the cummins sorted.
I have a 118 C with the same H743c motor,just putting new sleeves in it now.
have got parts with some difficulty & having trouble getting workshop manual details for the reassembly.

Broken Bill

Not as yet Ray, floods etc have kept me away from it & it is still good for little jobs, so will pull it down in a couple of months, when I have more time. Bill

rayg59

Occupation
Grader operator
I've have had the same trouble when looking for parts. A H743 is not a NH 220
The biggest difference is the H743 has a 2 valve head.
If you get onto a genuine Cummins dealer they should be able to look up parts using your engine number. The parts are available but some may be stateside.
I have not been able to find a workshop manual but hopefully the parts suppliers workshop will have one to refer to.
If anyone out there has a manual ,,,,,now would be a good time to say so.
Cummins H743C 145. (as plated on the top horizontal flat surface of the PT pump just above the 'C' in Cummins cast into the side of pump)
My engine number 10204193 stamped on vertical flat of block just above PT pump.
Been flooding & wet here too.
Cheers Ray

rayg59

Occupation
Grader operator
Have gotten enough workshop info from the part suppliers ,so should be able to get it all together now.
I am at Lockyer Valley QLD.
Cheers Ray

matthew moore

gday bill, Did you get the cummins sorted.
I have a 118 C with the same H743c motor,just putting new sleeves in it now.
have got parts with some difficulty & having trouble getting workshop manual details for the reassembly.
Do u have the part numbers for the sleeves and pistons I feel I have to do the same to mine but my plate is missing with all the numbers