• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

G Series Console Strut

Queenslander

Sometimes the simplest of problems can cause you all sorts of grief.
The gas strut on our G series grader failed... wouldn’t hold the console up.
Two replacement options, genuine or Yellowmark.
I installed the cheaper version and all was well for twelve months until it went again.
Bought the genuine part, at two and a half times the price, and went to install it only to discover that it has a completely different thread... metric, for some unknown reason.
Swapped it for another Yellowmark part and installed it but now can’t get it to lock in place.
Wondering if I have another dodgy cylinder or is there a written procedure to install/adjust?
EC0CC923-FF1F-4584-A2E7-262528CA0A12.jpeg 41EBBA0D-8347-4A4C-8C80-A4DDB229E8FF.jpeg

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I haven’t seen a procedure but I know if you thread them in too far they won’t lock. You have to make sure the lock pin or trigger isn’t being pushed. There should be a jamb nut to lock the threads.
I’ve had some New Cat replacements that only last a little over a year.

Queenslander

Yeah, should be simple stuff, the previous one that I replaced didn’t cause any dramas.
What about the little steel ball, #19 on the drawing?
This one fell out as I removed the strut... perhaps something is worn and it should be held up there.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I think the steel ball runs in a ramp like groove which then pushes the trigger on the strut. You may have to grease your ball to keep it in.
Greasing your balls can get messy though.

Queenslander

Having greasy balls seems to be the secret..LOL
I realise now, that the problem I was having was the ball binding up from being dry.
Thanks for your help Mobiltech.