• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Funny Thursday

cecil89

Occupation
the best I can be while I am being paid to do my J
I am more a lurker than a poster.
Short story. Wind was a pain in the you know where. Was building gang forms on the ground most of the day. Set the first one with a lot of diffuculty. Form had jacks on it to keep it upright, (I don't ask any more. About 20-30' tall. 12' w.). Any Who Foreman hooks me up to a form an has me stand it up. I picked it up a little an set it on the ground. Could tell the wind was still pushing. He says go ahead an put in the hole.We were probably 80" feet from each other an looking at each other. I turn my head an push the button on my radio that is hanging from a piece of tie wire." Hey I bet when I swing this down there I can KNOCK THAT FORM DOWN THAT WE JUST SET!.
Funny how he wanted to lay that form down.
Question is the age old one. Shut up an pull that lever an do as I say. Until it is WINDY an please shut this mother down! please MR. Operator!
Why are we with the Moral judgement . Now one else has one.
Iron worker on a job a long time ago, "I think you should shut this down. I said "I can't feel any wind down here. Why don't you go up there an tell me what kind of wind we are having. I could hear his voice kind of shaking when he said we should not be doing this. I laughed loudly.

I think I am done with my RANT I am done have a good day.

Dustindlb

Occupation
Truck crane operator
When an iron worker makes a misjudgment or a mistake, they re drill a hole or remove steel and put it where it's supposed to go.

When we make a mistake we kill people. I'm a nice guy but when I say no I mean it. Ill quit my job behind it any day of the week.

Blmreject

Occupation
mobile crane op IUOE Local 701
Some one has to make the call, we are tasked with knowing how and when to operate. The super's job is to keep the project moving. They need some one to step up and make the call based on real conditions on site. That way the company has a way to get paid/write off the cost of down time.

They are supposed to push us to keep working. From there point of view shutting down for weather is no different than people dragging there feet or taking to long at break. it's all lost production.

It's when they cross the line that we have a real gripe. I will generally try to make a lift as long as i have a way out, some where to land it or something to rest the load against to keep it under control. Sometimes the best way to get your point across is to fly a kite and let them see what it's really like.

I am with you though, it's frustrating. No job is worth an accident. Every time they start pushing hard i start in with smart a$$ lines like, "i was looking for a job when i found this one" or "at least if it goes wrong this office will make a real niceLZ for my boom."

Good luck, and remember your ain't the only one.

Dustindlb

Occupation
Truck crane operator
If I have to tell someone no in any instance, and they think I'm being over cautious or lazy I warmly welcome that person to make the lift theirselves if they feel it won't be a problem.