• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fun in the sun

Grader4me

We had a boom truck training course last week. We also had a bucket truck there :) I decided to take her for a little rip. First time for me. I'm as far up as I'm going to go! :eek:

Me in the bucket truck.JPG

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
When I was a Lineman on a transmission crew we had a platform bucket truck. basically a scissor lift in the bed the turntable sits on. Heights of 120 feet were average days. I've never been seasick on water but in a light breeze one day I barfed for three hours with the bleedin thing swaying in the wind, not fun especially barehanding 150 kv lines.

Grader4me

The guy's running this truck have told me that they have had a few scares with the wind gusts etc. I was never scared of heights as in my younger days as I worked on the bridge crew. When I took this up though I felt a few butterflies rolling around in my stomach :) The guys on the ground were motioning me to go higher but I assured them that I was high enough :D

Last edited:

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I went up in the observation tower on the new bridge in Bucksport Maine last week,actually it is part of Ft Knox now I guess,that is where you enter to pay the five bucks to ride in the elevator and that is 420' from something down below there,can't be the water with the tides etc but that is scary as all get out.My legs are still shaking.
You are surrounded by glass and grab rails......I had to sneak up to the edge to take a picture.
I watched them build the bridge for three years as they had a webcam on both ends of the bridge and I figured that if those workers could go up there with minimal protection to build it I should have the guts to at least ride to the top and look out over the side but I promise you when the elevator door opens it is breath taking and you almost want to turn around right then as the female attendant greats you.LOL.Ron G
http://www.earthcam.com/client/mainedot/index.php

Grader4me

Wow! That would be a sight to see alright. I think a person loses his nerve a bit with age. Thanks for the link Ron. See that you're a early riser like I am.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
I did ridge work awhile too. Over in West Virginia we did some train bridges across these gorges that prolly ended up something like that high. It doesn't bother me to walk all the metal and stuff up high as long as I've got my safety stuff, take that away and I've got a death lock on whatever can be reached. I trust my equipment but at times am too much of a pessimist to trust something put together by the lowest bidder. :rolleyes: :p :cool2

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Wow! That would be a sight to see alright. I think a person loses his nerve a bit with age. Thanks for the link Ron. See that you're a early riser like I am.

Old habits are hard to break.I am up any time after 3am...occasionally earlier but always by 4:00.
I used to be ok with climbing and high places but I punctured an ear drum I am told and I just can't get comfortable with it anymore.
I agree that age plays a part as well,we are just more conservative I suppose.
I used to watch that tower crane operator climb up that crane to his operators station and climb down again at the end of the day and try to put myself in his shoes......I have all the respect in the world for those guys.I would white knuckle it at 40' and they would have to pry my hands away from the ladder rungs!!!LOL.Ron G

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Here is a link to the various phases of construction of the bridge if you click on the photo gallery.There were some great weekly progress reports and photos in .pdf format which means that they were good quality pics and lots of pics of the jobsite in general which I can no longer find.
I have an email in to Maine DOT to see if they can help me find them.
If you Google Penobscot Narrows Bridge there are some good pics there too.
I am trying to give Lashlander some competition but he is a hard act to follow.Ron G
http://www.penobscotnarrowsbridgefest.com/

Grader4me

......I have all the respect in the world for those guys.I would white knuckle it at 40' and they would have to pry my hands away from the ladder rungs!!!LOL.Ron G

Lol...I hear ya.. probably have to use a prybar and do one finger at a time:)

I am trying to give Lashlander some competition but he is a hard act to follow

:iagree