1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by gtermini, Dec 23, 2019.

1. gtermini

gtermini Well-Known Member

I did the oil on my old beater 7.3 yesterday and the pan threads are getting a little long in the tooth. What's your opinion on those Fumoto drain valves? I ordered one, but am going back and fourth about installing it next change. I just don't love the idea of a valve hanging down under there or having it potentially leak. Am I worrying about nothing?

2. MarshallPowerGen

MarshallPowerGen Well-Known Member

Diesel & Generator Mechanic
    They use them in a lot of generators I've worked on, and they're great. Makes oil changes a breeze and the tab to open the valve stays in place securely. I've run into a them on non-stationary equipment as well, but not as often.

I've thought about throwing one on my old 6.9, but it goes through so much oil it never gets real change, just spin a filter on every year and keep topping it off.

gtermini likes this.
  3. GregsHD

GregsHD Senior Member

Self Employed HD Mechanic
    I'm not a big fan of the fumoto valves, they will leak eventually and when they do there is no backup to stop the leakage. I've always worried about a stick getting in there and knocking the valve open, again no backup against leakage!

I prefer no-spill style drain valves, other than you need to have multiple size drain hoses for different size valves, and they aren't cheap!
    https://www.nospillsystems.com/

hvy 1ton and RZucker like this.
  4. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

I've got over a 100 fumotos in service.
    If you're concerned about accidental leakage, use the nipple style with a cap, and a wire type Corbin can be slipped onto the stem to prevent accidental opening.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  5. Blocker in MS

Blocker in MS Senior Member

Most every dirt tractor I have ever run gets one. I love them in that situation. They are protected between frame rails on the big 4WD’s though. I have never seen any leakage, but I usually get the nipple style and have 18” of hose on the end because the valves are that high off the ground. The hose is just long enough to go into a 5 gallon bucket sitting in the ground. When not draining I always pull the hose back up and tuck the loose end around another hose to keep it from getting snatched off. I am not sure I would run one on a pickup or not. It would depend if it was highway only or not and how well it was protected from a a stick or one of those tires on the side of the where you cannot avoid all the pieces.

GregsHD likes this.
  6. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    I’ve had one on my work pickup for 250k miles, that’s 50 services on our schedule. Doesn’t leak a drop. On my particular truck it’s not even close to being the lowest point though. I have them on several rigs and they don’t leak but again aren’t anywhere close to FOD.

7. wornout wrench

wornout wrench Senior Member

I have ran both.
    I like the fumoto as long as they are well protected, say in an excavator.
    Any place that has an open pan, I prefer the No-spill style like Greg shows.
    I'm just more confident that something is not going to knock the valve on the fumoto.
    That being said, have never had that happen.

GregsHD likes this.
  8. GregsHD

GregsHD Senior Member

Self Employed HD Mechanic
    I should have mentioned the two leaking fumoto valves I experienced were both on high hour (16000+hr) machines since the first oil change, On one the snap ring and spring departed the situation and allowed the valve to open, it was a close call but could have been avoided using a hose clamp or even a zip tie to keep the valve locked. The other just started leaking with the valve closed. Neither of them had a hose barb. Really should have replaced the valves a long time before that as PM.

Truck Shop and gtermini like this.
  9. Blocker in MS

Blocker in MS Senior Member

My fear would be from an object striking and cracking them on a vehicle with lower ground clearance. Other than you would be good I believe. They will make changing oil on Case IH 535 with a QSX about four feet off the ground a event you can attend with your church clothes:)

Truck Shop likes this.
  10. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    I can say I have seen a 3406B Cat get welded together after a tumble weed opened the valve. One in a million I suppose. Not sure why the driver ignored the buzzer and THE BIG RED LIGHT, I imagine it was a language barrier thing. :rolleyes:

Truck Shop and Ronsii like this.
  11. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I install the T-211 Fumoto on every semi tractor on the first oil change that the company owns. Never had any leak and never had one open accidentally. I make sure the lever is pointed to the
    back side when installed. And if it gets dirt in the spring loaded lever I don't know how it could turn or the spring collapse to let it turn full of dirt. I have to spray the valve with brake clean first
    sometimes to get it to release. I can tell you this on the later trucks with set back axles and air dams you don't want to be crawling under there every time to pull a plug. The other thing is
    with the drain valve you don't close it you have oil on the floor {drain plug----------did I remember to tighten it}

gtermini, DB2, GregsHD and 1 other person like this.
  12. gtermini

gtermini Well-Known Member

OK thanks for the insight. I think I'll go ahead and put it on next change. If I safety wire the handle, I think I can sleep at night. I'm sure it's one of these things I worry way too much over nothing.