• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

colson04

My wife's favorite comment as to her stuff that seems to grow in place: "I will tend to it Later".

Can't stand not having my shop space, volunteered it for the house build/move but now it is time she take care of the excess crap and it sits. I have been Secretly working on the pile a little at a time it just 'Vanishes'!!

My grandpa did that to my grandma recently. They 'moved' out of the farmhouse 20 years ago to a new place back in the woods. Grandma never emptied the stuff out of the farmhouse basement. 2 years ago, my grandpa paid my cousins to haul everything left out of that house, put in one of our dump trucks and haul it to the dump. My grandma still thinks that stuff is in that house...

Sorry for the hijack.

I agree with staying organized, though I am horrible at doing so. I just put a B&W hitch in my truck and spent half the time of my install looking for the correct tools. I own them, I know they're in here, but where the heck are they?!

Last edited:

Crummy

My mom says her dad (a depression era pack-rat farmer) told his son-in-laws "If you don't treat my daughters well I will be forced to leave everything I own to you in my will".

Crummy

In for lunch. Still a loooong way to go & I'm telling myself "I'm never letting it get that way again".
Heh. That's funny, self.
"I'm never drinking that much again."
"If I ever make that kind of money again I'm going to save & not blow it all on stupid stuff"
"I don't care what she does, I'm not taking her back again"

Crummy

Quiz time!
Not the greatest picture, but who can identify this tool?
Hint: Made by Atlas _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Co.
Talk about "I forgot I had that"!

DSCF0001.JPG

Crummy

I thought the Kenworth was gone to a new home?
Between the buyers busy schedule (10,000ac wheat farm), the weather, and getting someone to come over with him that has a CDL he hasn't been able to get back over here from the east side of the mountains to close the deal & pick it up. Since it's someone @Truck Shop knows as honest & sent my way a handshake was good enough for me when he flew over to look at it and we agreed on a price.

Crummy

Anyone need a Dillon 20k/lb Dynamometer? I can't see needing it since I haven't had any cranes since 2007! It's truly unbelievable the amount of stuff I've accumulated. I'm trying not to think of all the treasures I have stored at the other property.
Dillon.JPG

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am finally re-distributing the Old 'STUFF' I also had from almost 40 years collecting. Getting down to the basic tools I need for my own junk and nothing else. May keep a few of the oddest items just for conversation pieces.
Junkyard got my old Cummins and DD tooling I know I will not ever need again.

Crummy

Should get the shop done today. Now I need a break in the weather I can get the service truck steam cleaned and in the shop.

Now to the ongoing engine BS. I went out Saturday & lit it off, 30deg, fired up fine but seemed to have a miss but it went away when it came up to operating temp. Went out yesterday, 26deg, no start at all. Plugged it in for 45min & it fired right up, still a little miss but otherwise fine. Went out this morning 24hrs later, 22deg, fired right up with the slight miss. Flipped the hood & listened to the valve covers with my high-tech rubber hose listening device- rattle like a dead cylinder mid left bank. I'm going to see if I can hit the exhaust with the heat gun later.

Crummy

#5 exhaust 30% off the rest of the temps after cold engine start. Good 'ol temp gun comes through again.

Crummy

2" snow & 28deg out this morning but I don't care- truck project is in the shop.
A couple of things from yesterday that were kind of funny (now)-
  • Steam cleaning in the cold & dry is a riot. Especially in the doghouse & doing inside the side boxes. "I can't see #### through this fog!"
  • Steam cleaners will always quit working at the beginning of the job when you are trying to get done before it starts snowing, not at the end so you can "fix it tomorrow".
  • Remembering at some point in the past saying "Note to self: getting a rig that's been sitting for years is never a good idea".
  • (RE: above) Ready to hit it hard first thing in the AM but there's a 3' puddle of power steering fluid on the shop floor from a "new" leaking line. Of course, it leaked into the valley & down the bell housing that I just cleaned spic-n-span yesterday.
It did start right up yesterday at 22deg, so that was a plus.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ice last two days here, now melted and rain pushing in, back into 50's tomorrow. Have to love MO weather as it never repeats save for 102 in the shade and no shade.

Crummy

I'm going to do a little product review here.
I found an 'injector tune up' kit for the HEUI's (turns out the guy that sells them is local): "Hard to start? Runs rough cold? Runs fine warm?". Fits the symptoms, low cost also. What the heck? Plus I'm teaching myself in-depth about a component I'd just normally do an R&R on. I definitely don't know everything, far from it, but I'm always up to learning something new.
So far this morning I've checked the armature clearances on 1,3,5,7- way too tight. #5 (that had the low EGT) is the worst.

Before anyone jumps in with "don't be cheap, get reman injectors and be done with it". Here's the deal- I have no idea how much damage was done to the engine prior to me having it. I'm really concerned about how long it was run with the plugged DPF, thus I am reluctant to drive it through the parts store only to have it fail soon after it's fully in service. $75 for a kit is a lot less than $1200 or so for injectors.