• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Crummy

Helpful hint for the day: the front tow yoke on the Kenworth works really well for bending the legs on rebar verticals.

Crummy

Two things I picked up this weekend-
#1 from a realtor down the road: no buyers for bare land, too expensive to build. Existing homes/land HOT HOT HOT.
#2 contractors that said they were booked for a year out the beginning of the year are getting more cancellations than calls for new work now.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Several contractors here we delivery rock sand or fill materials to have stated similarly. One just finished a project started 2020 , costs rises cut his profit line even as slipped much of it to the new owner(Contractual language). He had three lined up to start and all three backed out.

Truck Shop

House next to me, old place originally part of it was a chicken coop. Went on the market a month ago at 147,000 then a bidding war ended at 205,000.
Needs a new septic system and tank plus it was a chicken coop way back when and 2 bdrm. It was a tear down, bank financed it. People are nuts.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Scary around here. People spent life savings or sold other properties to buy up EXCESSIVELY high priced over valued price ground, a few bought old homes and are paying near to same as building new to refurb them. I see a MAJOR Crash and Burn coming.

Crummy

Had kids up here Sunday shooting rockets off in the fields for a school project. Parents & teachers contacted property owners to ask permission the week before- heck yes it's OK! Shoot them off and calculate altitude, speed, etc using their minds pencil & paper and not an 'app'. I've got a weather station so they asked me the wind speed. Learning useful stuff & enjoying the process. It was fun watching. Kids really were enthusiastic and helping each other out, parents involved, neighbors supportive. Life is good.

Crummy

I take mom (84yo) to the grocery store the other day. She lives in her own place next door on 10ac. Weather has been nice so she's got her windows open early. She said she can smell when I warm up ol' Smokey Joe Cummins early AM and brings back memories.
"it smells like men getting ready to go to work"
:)

Crummy

Almost formed up for the final wall pour on the workshop & 'big' garage space. I'm having someone come in "cash side job" to place & finish the flatwork though- that is just too much for my old bones (& back). OK, so this time it is the last time I'm doing concrete. Yeah, I know I've said that the last dozen times I've done concrete.
Going back to doing concrete work is like riding a bike:
If the bike is on fire
And you are on fire
And you are in hell

KIMG0037.JPG

Crummy

Always expect the unexpected.
Mowing around the well the other day and drove over a squishy spot. That's not right. Roll all the equipment over and dig brownie mix to the line and find it's leaking at the 1-1/4" pitless???? WTF? Those things are tough as basalt. Found a new one and replaced the next day- less than a year old- casting flaw! New one is SS no more cast bronze BS. Pulling wells and working in clay goo is no fun at all. Found out one of my rubber boots has a leak, too. Yea!
Got it repaired and back in service before the concrete came for the workshop on Wed though so didn't loose too much time.
Ugh

Crummy

Hauled 6 loads of rock yesterday & that's too much like work for me.
The pit owner moved all his equipment down to Riggins to do a crushing job & the Dresser loader at the pit broke so he has his 580K there to load trucks.
Backhoes do a lot of things, none of them well- especially loading trucks.
I hate backhoes. Always have, always will.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Scary around here. People spent life savings or sold other properties to buy up EXCESSIVELY high priced over valued price ground, a few bought old homes and are paying near to same as building new to refurb them. I see a MAJOR Crash and Burn coming.
Bought my second piece of property for $21k for 20 something acres last year, a piece the same size a mile from here has came up for sale for $90k from different real estate agent. I'm saving up for this crash and burn, getting ready to grab a few pieces, let'er rip!!!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I fear will be catastrophic here for RE adventurers. Properties not worth much of nothing been sold for four times what I paid for our place. No buildings or trash remnants of something, poor ground barely able to run pasture, NO mineral rights where Clay harvesters still come knocking and cannot tell them no. We at least have our Mineral Rights, just nothing here!! Ex Co-worker bought a piece of ground to get closer to civilization, sold their old place for construct money only now its not enough, lumber price has them staring at a empty foundation and no idea when will build the house. They are currently renting and paying dearly for that.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Land north of here several years ago went nuts as to High Value Farming ground, some sold at auction well over $12,000 acre, that has not survived, land now around Vandalia or Further North around Mark Twain Lake only seeing offers around $9500 on high end. hard to make any income when all earnings go to make payments.