• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Crummy

Trying to get a jump on starting construction of my workshop & big garage basing & forming the footings this week. Weather is getting better, snow & ice is melting so we're starting the spring rasputitsa so no KW for a bit but I figured I could run the F250 & 2yd dump trailer up to the pit and get a couple of yards of 3/4 to base the footings. Text the pit owner- can I come grab a couple of yards?
Sure, nobody's there go ahead and load your self.
Run up there and find there's only 1 thing on-site to load right now....
You ever loaded a 2yd single axle dump trailer with a 980? Talk about 10lbs of flour in a 5lb sack.
Poor trailer.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Our local places load everybody with a 980. They just say, we can't load a particular weight in your pickup/trailer because a quarter of the scoop will fall off the back. They have a truck scale to get accurate sold weight but it is up to the loader man's eye to guess how much before it goes over the scale.

Crummy

He's usually got a backhoe & excavators there, just not right now because nothing is really happening and he's not running the crusher yet. Charges $25/load for pickup & dump trailer loads. Not worth the time it takes to run across the scale. More a service to the locals to get a yard or 2 for home projects.

Crummy

I'm out basing in footings with my helper for the workshop yesterday, I've got my hoodie on and think I hear something moving behind me, turn around- "oh s**t" there's a pole hauling a$$ down the hill at me! The light company came in with a little Tak excavator when there was still 2' of snow on the ground and laid a pole up on the hill for an extension they're doing. Snow melted and.....
KIMG0021.JPG

Crummy

My second load I got 3", jumped on the 980 ran it across the pit & into the pile & mashed the pedal- wheeeeeee-BURP-BURP-BURP. Oh crap, outta fuel! Of course as far away from the fuel skid as you can get in the pit. I should know better than to get on a machine & not check the fuel.

Crummy

I'm going to have an episode if one more person asks me to haul rock or fix something for "some beer money"
I'm semi-retired not semi-retarded (although some that know me will argue that point)
My bank account isn't big enough to make all your dreams come true
And I'm not a beer drinker

Crummy

I'm not going to be "that retired guy" that works cheap and takes money out of the pocket of folks working to feed their family.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Lately I've been helping out a couple of young guys breaking into the repair business. Been acting more like a school teacher than a mechanic. Helped yesterday with troubleshooting a coolant leak on a dump truck. It had blown the upper radiator hose and he was afraid there might be compression in the coolant. I brought my pressure checker and had him start the engine and we watched the gauge to see if the pressure climbed fast. It did what it was supposed to do so we shut the truck down and pumped up the pressure to 10 PSI and looked for leaks. Found the thermostat housing leaking and he scheduled with his customer when he could take care of that. I also showed him how to check crankcase pressure. Last week I hooked up the gauge set on a Dash 5 Komatsu for a young fellow and showed him the ropes of what to look for and how to adjust the system. Hopefully the more they know, the lesser amount of phone calls I'll have to answer.

I think both will be excellent mechanics as time goes by. They both have the work ethic and desire to learn.

Crummy

Went to town last night for fuel for the machines. Well honestly I was out of booze and may as well stop for fuel while I was down there.
The checkers at the grocery were all open carrying. You guys get robbed? Seemed odd as robbery is a bad career choice here.
Nope, lots of folks over here now looking to move out of the coastal areas and it discourages the hippies & commies & Karens to go to local businesses and see open carry + no masks.
Go. Away.
Heh. 'Merica!

Crummy

I went to the pit yesterday for rock & the owner's got an outfit there buying his pit run & crushing it themselves for some big project. Lots of nice equipment on-site new loaders, excavators, mobile crushers (tracked), and a D9 or 10 WAY up on the face pushing down. I didn't have my phone to take a pic but I'll bring it next time. Dozer operator was hanging his a$$ off the side ripping rock diagonally down the face towards where they had the grizzly set up at the bottom.

Crummy

Working on getting my workshop and bigger garage built now that construction season has started. Looking at the numbers it's less expensive psf to do concrete walls than stick frame now. o_O
Change of plan- keep going up on the stem walls until I run out of form panels.

The Peej

Working on getting my workshop and bigger garage built now that construction season has started. Looking at the numbers it's less expensive psf to do concrete walls than stick frame now. o_O
Change of plan- keep going up on the stem walls until I run out of form panels.
I agree and have been seriously looking at ICF. It is not popular in my market but I think it has huge potential

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Do you all not think that the lumber market is going to crash at some point from sheer ridiculousness? That does not help those needing to build now.

"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent"

Wise old contractor told me a couple years ago, we are overdue for another recession. Still booming along but things are sure getting weird.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Sawmills have been dying for years now. Dimensional lumber prices are not going to crash anytime soon. Housing market will have to crash first and no one here is predicting that for the next couple of years anyway.