• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Truck Shop

Front brakes yes and no could have come either way, the frame also. In those years most all were built to buyer spec's and those spec's had a wide range.

Bluox

No, that's a Luberfiner engine oil filter and added cooler, Someone could have converted it to a power steering reservoir.
But that Luberfiner filter housing raised the oil capacity to 12 gallons.
OK but I never saw a luberfiner with a rubber plug in it.
Bob

Reactions: DB2

Truck Shop

006 (5).JPG If it has Vickers Power Ram Steering that someone installed they could have used it for a reservoir. In those years power steering still wasn't that common and being a dump it could have had
Vickers installed. People had a tendency of disconnecting the Luberfiners, problem with that was the old cast aluminum pans only held 7.5 gallons to 8 gallons. The Chrome housings like the one
on mine pictured below are getting real hard to find, a used one in good condition is going for $500. Hagerman Truck Salvage had two NOS chrome Luberfiners in the original boxes dating back
to the 70's, sold both for $1,100 each.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
On the old Acars and Whites we worked on over the years the Luberfiners were bad for air bind where would not fill full. Side and Cover plugs would not always come loose to bleed the air off. Makes me wonder if the plug was installed to prefill. PS Cans were about 1/2 to 3/5 the size of a Luberfiner.

Truck Shop

If it has Vickers it will still have the old Gemmer manual steering box, It could also have power box {Ross} which uses a bracket that incorporates the rear spring hanger. And that could
cover years from late 60's to 2000.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
If it has Vickers it will still have the old Gemmer manual steering box, It could also have power box {Ross} which uses a bracket that incorporates the rear spring hanger. And that could
cover years from late 60's to 2000.

So was that rear spring hanger/power steering box mount always used with the Ross? I've got to reseal the steering box on my 1980 W900 one of these days. So rusty from the years I have no idea what it is.

Truck Shop

So was that rear spring hanger/power steering box mount always used with the Ross?

Any with rear/behind axle mounted steering box used that hanger bracket. And Ross was the primary although there were some Shepard gears used also. But the Shepard is very expensive to rebuild
and not worth using. Plenty of Ross steering gears out there. The brackets can be hard to find.

Crummy

He dropped it off the other day. Haven't had much time to look it over, racing to get other things done before cold/snow gets here (forecast, for what that's worth, is snow with 5 low & 22 high next week). Fired it up yesterday morning to move it 26deg & started....barely. Neighbor asked "what was all that smoke at your place this morning?" Haha! Must have been a lot she's almost blind! My carbon footprint is HUGE! Did a little "what's this do?" driving it 100' and managed to get the "diff lock" light lit and won't go out, figure it out later. It's a long term project. Just needs to move a bazillion yards of material around the place here and make it 2 mi round trip to his quarry for now.

Found him a deal on a 350kw genset for his crusher so hoping the great deal on rock products he's giving me keeps up. I need a LOT of rock.

@Truck Shop what year did they start paddle door handles on the A's? VIN 109403 March 1967 build but has paddles.

Truck Shop

In the middle photo was some years later-a farmer bought it and drove it into the ground. Just beat the crap out of it.

Truck Shop

It was Freightliner spring someone installed, I shortened the frame and installed KW 8 bag on SQ100 rear drives I had. BCI 400, RTO14613 with Ross power steering I installed.