1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Fuel tank

Discussion in 'Welding' started by Sberry, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    I was just ready to move this job out and thought maybe I take a stab at fixing the fuel gage. Bad plan. Well sort of depending on how long I keep it. Undisturbed it work have been find but I reach in with a scraper and knock some heavy scale loose and create a leak. Outright challenge to get it out, super odd shape and the bolt heads eroded and had to cut them off in a tuff spot. 20210130_184512.jpg 20210130_184504.jpg 20210130_184407.jpg 20210130_184512.jpg 20210130_184504.jpg 20210130_184407.jpg

2. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    20210130_162103.jpg 20210130_162103.jpg 20210130_184421.jpg 20210130_184340.jpg

DMiller likes this.
  3. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    I gotta remove the sending unit screws yet.

DMiller likes this.
  4. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    TIG.

DMiller likes this.
  5. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    Mig or stick if i want a little practice.

DMiller likes this.
  6. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    I really didnt wanna spend a couple days on this and gotta put it back in yet. But probably better now than later. 20210131_190409.jpg 20210131_191728.jpg 20210131_191746.jpg 20210131_191756.jpg

DMiller likes this.
  7. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
  8. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
  9. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    20210131_191746.jpg

mks likes this.
  10. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
  11. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    DMiller, Tinkerer and Jonas302 like this.
  12. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Very nice!

DMiller likes this.
  13. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Nice work.

DMiller likes this.
  14. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

When a post is made with the same images that are repeated, it is quite simple to edit them out.
    I have done it many times. There is a time limit on how long you have to do it.
    Use the edit function at the bottom of your reply and the images will look like this [ATTACH ########ATTACH].
    You will then see the duplicated images. Highlight and cut them. Then hit save changes.

DMiller likes this.
  15. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    Yes, I will do it right from now on. I was in a bit of a hurry, I do this really fast.
    Ok, you can see in that bung/plug weld i had intended on a stop in it and then got hurried and decided to go all the way around a little too hot for the thickness and was on the verge of a melt thru. I sanded and wire wheel the rest of the top and filled about a dozen little pits and they weld right up nice. Then poured asome common enalem paint over it and mopped oin with a sponge brush.
    Most of it I dont do with the idea of taking pictures but shoukld make a little file should I want to sell this thing. I found the block heater not working and I broke the old trying to get it apart so am going to get new as cold weather is on its way and I really dont like to keep stinky old diesel in the shop when I cant vent really well. But heater does help them with starting so smoky even in bit warmer weather.
    Started righjt up and I ran it to test the brakes, brakes from hell, locks them right up.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    DMiller likes this.
  16. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    It had a tank type external coolant heater, was laying down in the frame. Wonder what the new elevation should be and if hose length is a big deal? Needs some engine cooling hoses also, was going to do it in nicer weather and need to collect the materials ahead of time along with get engine ID and get exhaust manifold gaskets. They actually look common and maybe make them. Wanna look at some fuel return lines.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    DMiller likes this.
  17. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    All in and running and cleaned up today. Yesterday I got sidelined with a putty knife and spent the day scraping. It was well greased and not kept up with cleaning and I took off about 50# of grease and some rust and dirt to the point i can pressure wash. We fix all the bolts on the side covers. 20210202_163528.jpg
    In digging found front motor mount bolts loose and right at the end come across the big heavy washer was sposed to be installed with it.
    The compulsive cleaning came to pay back a little in the end.

DMiller likes this.
  18. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

http://www.alliedsystems.com/pdf/Wagner/Forms/80/80-669.pdf here's a detailed instructions for one tank type heater. This one lays down, but the more common ones you want vertical. The length of the hose doesn't make much difference, enough height is critical, and keeping the hot running at a steep angle up to the engine.

DMiller likes this.
  19. Sberry

Sberry Senior Member

Farmer
    Thanks, that was well worth the read.

DMiller likes this.