• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel surcharge???

kamerad47

Is anybody adding a fuel surcharge!! My answer is how can you not!:pointhead I see co.'s say no fuel surcharges. I say is BS !! at $4 a gal for road diesel how can that be!!!

dayexco

we put any anticipated fuel increases into ouir proposals/contracts. i don't like going begging owner for more money. if it doesn't go up? more profit for us. if we lose the job? let the bloke who bid to cheap have at it!

DPete

On a sizeable job I include a surcharge clause stating the price of fuel on the day the bid goes in and that any substantial increase will be billed as a surcharge, with that bill I hand in my fuel tag. Sometimes there are delays starting a job because of permit issues and it may be 4 or 5 months after the bid date. I can't take that gamble that fuel will remain the same. Some of the jobs I've had require 10- 15 thousand gallons. I had a $9000 surcharge after the Hurricane Katrina increase. I recieved it without any questions, just good business

dayexco

we typically run 2 excavators, 1 end loader per crew. our time on the average per jobsite is a month or less. i can see where you're limited to mobility on permits, on one jobsite for an extended period where you might have to put in your escalator....i feel in our operation, it's just good business to anticipate my fuel needs, bid accordingly, and not go begging the owner of the project for additional money. they'd much rather know upfront what the total cost of the project will be. size of operations is i guess what distinguishes our decision, huh?

Last edited:

DPete

Ya, I try to be fair, on smaller jobs I don't even mention it or if I have enough fuel on hand. It's the larger ones with no start date that worry me. I usually put (current for 60 days) on the bids. With the volatile market anything can happen in that 60 days with fuel prices. The surcharge In the upper post was for 3 1/2 months work. 2 scrapers, 1 compactor, 1 dozer/ ripper 1 grader and a water truck

Last edited:

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
I rented a crane the other day to set a large drainage tank. There was a 5% fuel surcharge and a 5% insurance surcharge. Never heard of the insurance one but wish I could start charging for that.

joedirt

Ya, I try to be fair, on smaller jobs I don't even mention it or if I have enough fuel on hand. It's the larger ones with no start date that worry me. I usually put (current for 60 days) on the bids. With the volatile market anything can happen in that 60 days with fuel prices. The surcharge In the upper post was for 3 1/2 months work. 2 scrapers, 1 compactor, 1 dozer/ ripper 1 grader and a water truck

My thoughts exactly DPete. We had a big (for us, 500000 yds or so) dirt job a couple of years back. The start date was delayed by 6 months or so. We had no choice but to hand in a fuel increase charge. I want to say it was around $20k or so. How can you absorb that??

DPete

I think it's important to have an agreement before you start. Would'nt want to spring a bill like that on anyone without a prior understanding. Never thought I'd see fuel be so unpredictable.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I rented a crane the other day to set a large drainage tank. There was a 5% fuel surcharge and a 5% insurance surcharge. Never heard of the insurance one but wish I could start charging for that.

Was the insurance charge an equipment floater/rental insurance? I might not be explaining this right but I have a leased or rented equipment rider on my policy. When I have rented equipment the rental house added insurance to the bill and I had to get them a standard accord stating the rented/leased equipment insurance to have the charge removed.

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
I ve rented equipment before and some of the places charged a % on the value of equipment if they did not have my proof of insurance on record for that year. It is way cheaper for me to provide them with that than pay what they want for their %.

joispoi

It's better business to raise your rates than to add any "extra" fees.

I know guys that have shown too much detail on their bills and have gotten stiffed because of it.

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!

I know guys that have shown too much detail on their bills and have gotten stiffed because of it.

I could not agree more, I learned that the hard way! Simple is sometimes better.

mikef87

Occupation
Was the insurance charge an equipment floater/rental insurance? I might not be explaining this right but I have a leased or rented equipment rider on my policy. When I have rented equipment the rental house added insurance to the bill and I had to get them a standard accord stating the rented/leased equipment insurance to have the charge removed.

I should have written it better, but it was a manned crane I rented from another company. A parking lot I bid for snow work was $25,000 for the insurance, on top of my regular insurance.

mikef87

Occupation
man, that's an insane premium, i think i'd be shopping for a new agent

My old company wanted $4000 to insure a Mack 6 wheeler I bought for $1200 to plow with. The new company wanted $1000, I did the truck over now, but its still $1000 a year for the insurance. I take them off the road in the spring and summer so it costs me about $600 a year after I get my refund. The $25,000 insurance policy was for $8 million. Why they wanted 8 million dollars for insurance blows my mind.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Is anybody adding a fuel surcharge!! My answer is how can you not!:pointhead I see co.'s say no fuel surcharges. I say is BS !! at $4 a gal for road diesel how can that be!!!

Where I work, they handle fuel in 1 of 3 ways.
On rental jobs, we fuel for a higher rate.
Customer fuels for a lower rate.
On contract jobs, a fuel surcharge based on current market prices is written into the contract.

For me, I work hourly + fuel.
I run allot of miles either to and from work.
While at work, I may be running parts, checking on different jobs or moving materials, generators or compressors.
It all adds up.
At the end of every evening, I always make sure my tank is full before I leave the yard.
:cool:

joedirt

I hear what you are saying but here is what we have been running into. When we receive a call on some heavy haul work (6 axle) we quote it out at $90 per hr. with a 14% fuel sir charge. Our competitors will quote the same load out at $85 with a 25% fuel sir charge. All though we are cheaper, at the first glance our competitor looks cheaper. It seems that what sticks in the callers mind is $85 an hour is cheaper than $90. Better go with brand x. :beatsme

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
My old company wanted $4000 to insure a Mack 6 wheeler I bought for $1200 to plow with. The new company wanted $1000, I did the truck over now, but its still $1000 a year for the insurance. I take them off the road in the spring and summer so it costs me about $600 a year after I get my refund. The $25,000 insurance policy was for $8 million. Why they wanted 8 million dollars for insurance blows my mind.
This following news item is the reason why your ins co is demanding $8M for insurance levels.
A guy here in Australia drove his loaded truck and trailer at around 80-90kmh (50-55mph) in fog .. where the visibility was only 20-50 metres .. and ran into the side of a freight train doing 111kmh (70mph).
He hit the 2nd of three locos, and rammed it right off the rails. The train concertinaed, and the final damage bill was AU$30M (about US$28M) .. all because ONE guy didn't exercise a little caution .. :rolleyes:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...tal-truck-crash/2007/02/07/1170524164158.html

joispoi

I hear what you are saying but here is what we have been running into. When we receive a call on some heavy haul work (6 axle) we quote it out at $90 per hr. with a 14% fuel sir charge. Our competitors will quote the same load out at $85 with a 25% fuel sir charge. All though we are cheaper, at the first glance our competitor looks cheaper. It seems that what sticks in the callers mind is $85 an hour is cheaper than $90. Better go with brand x. :beatsme

that's a pain in the ass. With that same train of thought, you could base your price on $75 per hour with a 36% fuel surcharge.

You may sound like a wise ass, but maybe you should quote 3 different rates with 3 different fuel surcharges that all net out to the same total cost per hour ($75 with x fuel surcharge, $85 with Y fuel surcharge and $90 with Z fuel surcharge). You'd get the benefit of saying you charge $75 per hour and the caller may appreciate and respect your willingness to cut through the BS so you end up getting the job....or they'll just hang up on you. :pointhead ;)

Legdoc

The local ready mix companies are at $80.00 cu yd plus drive time plus a per minute charge while on the job. I guess that's their surcharge.