• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Fuel problem 863 Bobcat

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
I had my machine shut down on me in, of course the worse posable spot. No spot is a good one but this area was way back in the project without access to my truck (and tools). The machine shut down starved for fuel.I pumped the primer ball and it didn't have any preasure to it. I know the problem. After filling up a water bottle with diesel and priming the filter it ran far enough for me to get on the trailer.My 963 had the same problem before and I had to pull the motor to get to the tank and repair the gromet that fell off and replace the line. My question is.....Do I have to pull the motor on this machine as well? I brought it back to my yard and took out a different machine and haven't looked at it yet. I'm hopping I can get a skinny hand in there and fix it that way. Is that do able? Thanks Doug

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I haven't done one on an 863 Doug, don't really know. But I haven't ran across one that I couldn't fix without pulling engine. Some have been a real PITA, but have been able to be smarter than the machine I'm working on thus far. I hope you can get it sorted out without pulling engine.

51kw

Been there, Done that! There is a panel that if you take the right rear tire off you can reach in and remove that line and repair it. It is a pain to do. The panel isnt very big and your arms have to try and bend at wierd angles but it can be done. Put some diesel conditioner in ours and it ate up the line that was in there. Had to do it a few times till we realized our cheaper line wouldnt work. Had to get good line. Havent had that cover off in 2 yrs. ( Was off for prior 2 Yrs)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You're right 51kw, the pick up tubing inside tank may look like clear vinyl tubing, but it's not, it's some other compound. Get the proper tubing from Bobcat, clear vinyl tubing won't work over time.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I had the same conditions happen several times on the 863 I had, however it wasn't the fuel pickup line but the fuel pump solenoid. It happened so often, kept a spare one in the truck.

It would starve the machine for fuel and bulb wouldn't pump. May be the same issue on yours as well, might check that first before going deeper. Good luck.

Reel hip

Occupation
I had the same conditions happen several times on the 863 I had, however it wasn't the fuel pickup line but the fuel pump solenoid. It happened so often, kept a spare one in the truck.

It would starve the machine for fuel and bulb wouldn't pump. May be the same issue on yours as well, might check that first before going deeper. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply... The solenoid is good. (you can hear it click) Also it runs just fine if you remove the excisting fuel tank source.

Reel hip

Occupation
Been there, Done that! There is a panel that if you take the right rear tire off you can reach in and remove that line and repair it. It is a pain to do. The panel isnt very big and your arms have to try and bend at wierd angles but it can be done. Put some diesel conditioner in ours and it ate up the line that was in there. Had to do it a few times till we realized our cheaper line wouldnt work. Had to get good line. Havent had that cover off in 2 yrs. ( Was off for prior 2 Yrs)
Thanks for the info 51K!!! I will try that all I need is some time to get to it. I have a neighbor kid that has small hands might be a job for him.Tha5t is the answer I was hopeing for.

albone

i have a 853 bobcat. the boss is throwing hp1 and hp2 codes. The machine will run but wont move? after a a few seconds the engine shuts down. any ideas?

"Barney"

Occupation
Retired
I realize this is an older thread, but I just have to thank all of you on this forum. (Hopefully brief) My Brother IL has a 1999 863. He had fuel problems and called a diesel mechanic to come over. The mechanic said your pickup tube has to be replaced. Estimated cost $600-$700. He said the motor had to be removed in order to get to the pickup. My Brother IN L has plenty of mone so he made arrangements to deliver the 863 to the mechanic's place of business.
My BIL called me that night , discussed the problem and I stated , no way would that require removing the motor. (However Bobcat does some weird things)

I stumbled on to this forum, found the above thread (863 Fuel problem) and called my BIL and passed along the information. Long story short. He went to the BC dealer, talked W/them and walked out with $19.98 PU etc. Took the panel off the BC and repaired the fuel PU in slightly less than an hour. Remarkable since my BIL can hardly pull a spark plug.
Saved $580.00 just from finding this forum.

I immediately registered and now I'm spending hours reading all the old post. Priceless!!!!!!! THANK YOU ALL.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Barney!:drinkup

That's why we are here to share knowledge and experience and hopefully save someone some pain, suffering and $$.:)

warbird

hillbilly55 might start a new thread this one is from 2013. im sure you will get help

wjaynes

Occupation
factory rat
Im having same issues with my 863 Bobcat, sometimes I get fuel coming from the line going to the pump and sometime it wont flow at all. raised the cab and removed the fuel filler hose but cant seem to find the pickup tube. I cant believe these companies make common issues like these hard to get to.

crewchief888

Im having same issues with my 863 Bobcat, sometimes I get fuel coming from the line going to the pump and sometime it wont flow at all. raised the cab and removed the fuel filler hose but cant seem to find the pickup tube. I cant believe these companies make common issues like these hard to get to.

863's are some of the worst to get ahold of the fuel suction hose.

the pickup is between the pumps and engine, almost underneath the pump.
depending on what series machine (C or F, and what steering it has) it could be anywhere from approx the middle of the tank, or to the far left (sitting in the seat)

i did a fuel pickup last friday on a late F series with pedestal type steering linkage that took me over 2 1/2 hours
(typically it's an hour or less....)

loads of fun :Banghead

:drinkup