• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Front bucket cutting edge

Delmer

Could be as simple as different air pressure in the back tires, or different size, or the former operator always used one corner when digging. If it hasn't worn in the last three years, how much do you think you'll wear before you have to rebuild that part of the bucket? you could add a weld on edge now, or something half assed to keep it going, or leave it, it probably won't be the thing that wears out your machine if you're not using it much and keep an eye on it.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Hope you don’t use that bucket much unless you don’t like it.
That bucket is about 200 hours from being totaled. Lol
If I were to look at that to buy I would seriously depreciate just for that.

cosmaar1

Appreciate everyone’s comments. Nothing from what I can tell on the machine is bent or has been welded on to repair a crack or break. As I mentioned the bucket was like this when I first bought it, so it’s been like that for a long while.

I agree it needs replaced and actually I brought it home last week from the property to do a few jobs on it during the lovely Ohio winter months. One of my jobs was to redo the edge so that it doesn’t ruin the bucket further.

I plan to call some local shops tomorrow to see what they say. I’m more than capable of doing some different modifications using non OEM parts, it’s just finding something that’s reasonable in cost.

56wrench

Is a half-arrow weld-on edge an option? They work well but maybe the cost is prohibitive now

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
My bucket edge must have had some pretty bad damage that got welded when they replaced it.

IMG_3824.JPG

The bolt on edge measures 88-1/2" wide by 1/2" thick. It is held on by 8 bolts on 11-5/8" centers.

IMG_3825.JPG

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
That’s a pretty nice job from what I can tell.
Would love to see the bottom of the bucket in the back.
Just for curiosity, looks like someone completely rebuilt that bucket.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
That’s a pretty nice job from what I can tell.
Would love to see the bottom of the bucket in the back.
Just for curiosity, looks like someone completely rebuilt that bucket.

It was done before I owned it. I think this hoe started life at a road department in Texas.

Looks like they went back proper with the weld on cutting edge followed by the bolt on as shown in the parts breakdown. The rest of the bucket looks undamaged underneath.

Delmer

Possible that damage is from loading broken concrete and large rock, cracked the floor, rust got between the cutting edge and the floor lifting it up, rock tore it off, they patched it.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Hey cosmaar1,

Take a look on marketplace or craigslist for a new weld-on cutting edge. I was surprised to find several for sale locally.

I just scored a weld-on cutting edge on craigslist for $150. It is bigger and thicker than I need, but since it is weld-on, it will be just fine.

cosmaar1

Hey cosmaar1,

Take a look on marketplace or craigslist for a new weld-on cutting edge. I was surprised to find several for sale locally.

I just scored a weld-on cutting edge on craigslist for $150. It is bigger and thicker than I need, but since it is weld-on, it will be just fine.
Yeah I’ve been doing that but no cigar…. At least yet.

I called a local fabricator a week ago and they quoted me around $300 that includes the 45 degree bevel. It was 5/8, AR-400 plate. Better than $500 from new holland.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
See if they can put a little less slope than 45 deg's. so the edge cuts in easier. Maybe 30 deg's.

I was going to comment on this too. The angle is definitely not 45 degrees. I will measure what I got when I have a chance.

Seams like a good deal for beveled AR-400 otherwise.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I just measured the bevel on the one I just purchased. It is 25 degrees. I have no idea what is common, just that, that is what the one I purchased is. Perhaps some more knowledgeable would chime in. 45 degrees is just too steep of an angle, to me.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I've bought several weld on cutting edges from Adirondack Road Materials in Eastern New York State. They seem to have disappeared from existence.
Most recent, D Miller was good enough to sell me a cutting edge for a Backhoe bucket.
I have also bought a cutting edge with bolt holes from an individual in Massachusetts It'll take some research to figure out his contact info. He is using a track torch to put an edge on it.

Welder Dave

A torch cut bevel leaves the edge a little harder on standard steel and might on harder steel as well.

cosmaar1

Appreciate what everyone has been saying about the angle. I sort of figured that 45 was normal but now that I think about it, y’all are right… it’s got to be in the 20s.

Appreciate the measurement Swetz. I will have to do a bit of research.