• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Front bucket cutting edge

cosmaar1

Hey all. Looking to replace the front bucket cutting edge on my 555e.

I’ve looked at a NH one and it’s over $550, yeah no thanks.

The front bucket is about 88 inches wide, NH says it’s 88.5 converting from mm.

Anyone have any ideas where to buy from? I’ve seen a few by titan that are 84” under $200, but am having a hard time finding 88” or bigger.

Tinkerer

What exactly are you looking for ?
How thick ? 5/8" ?
How wide ? There are various widths available.
Reversable ?
Weld on or bolt on ?
When I replaced mine I purchased a bolt-on edge. Then instead of doing 8 feet of cutting and welding, I simply burnt holes for the bolts in the old edge.
Paumco.com --->edge.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I’ve looked at a NH one and it’s over $550
I purchased one from NH in 2020. It was in stock at my local dealer and I paid $335.00 +tax.

Below is the same part I purchased. About $100 more. That is what has happened to steel. I am not thinking you are going to get it much cheaper, honestly. If you buy it online, it will cost a bunch to ship.

Welcome to the world today:(:(:(.

upload_2023-1-12_14-17-40.png

cosmaar1

:):):):)
I purchased one from NH in 2020. It was in stock at my local dealer and I paid $335.00 +tax.

Below is the same part I purchased. About $100 more. That is what has happened to steel. I am not thinking you are going to get it much cheaper, honestly. If you buy it online, it will cost a bunch to ship.

Welcome to the world today:(:(:(.

View attachment 277517
Thanks pal. The one I found on Titans website was free shipping, but as I said wasn’t big enough.

I was going to try the local dealer route but figured they would be high as well. Even if it’s another brand or heck for a bobcat even I would buy it! The caveat is that it needs to be 88 inches :)

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Wonder what material its made of? We needed to replace the weld on edge on a mini ex blade and just had a local fab shop burn one out on their table for us.

cosmaar1

What exactly are you looking for ?
How thick ? 5/8" ?
How wide ? There are various widths available.
Reversable ?
Weld on or bolt on ?
When I replaced mine I purchased a bolt-on edge. Then instead of doing 8 feet of cutting and welding, I simply burnt holes for the bolts in the old edge.
Paumco.com --->View attachment 277495
Everything I’ve been finding is 1/2 or 5/8. I don’t know what stock is but I would assume thicker is better. Width is 88.5 based on NH specs.

Mine doesn’t have bolt holes so I would say weld on would probably be what I needed, but I wouldn’t be opposed to bolt on, I’d just have to straighten out the existing edge as it’s lopsided currently.

Tinkerer

It took me about an hour to burn the holes in my existing cutting edge and bolt the new one on.
I preferred bolting the new one to the old for the added strength.
My old bucket is getting thin on the bottom, and I didn't want to deal with welding the new edge to it.
I'm not sure what you mean that yours is lopsided.
Is it there more wear on one side as opposed to the opposite ?
If it is, a bolt on edge can be located square with the bucket, and then mark the bolt holes.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
cosmaar1,

I just kind of assumed you were talking about the bolt on edge. My machine had a bolt on when I got it, and I figure it was put on new. The holes were already drilled in the welded cutting edge. Is there a chance that your welded edge is worn back past where the holes would be drilled in the welded edge??

My bolt on is about 1/2" thick. It must be hard, the original one was broken in like 3 places...came off as 3 pieces, not 1.

20230113_083715.jpg 20230113_083719.jpg 20230113_083742.jpg

Tugger2

I did the cutting edge on my 910 Cat loader bucket with 3/4" QT400. Its about 7' 6" wide.I beveled the center section with my track cutter and did the side bits on the milling machine. Bolt on done in 3 pieces ,2 short corner bits and the center edge .Beveled on both sides so i can flip it. I drilled it for 5/8" plow bolts countersunk for the bolt heads. So far its worn well . having the the short side bits allows me to deal with the extra wear on the corners more effectivly.when the corners start to wear a bit i touch them up with some good hardsurface then they last for ever. Its probably an expensive cutting edge ,buts its a good cutting edge.

Welder Dave

A steel supplier or fab shop could bevel you a piece of high carbon steel or AR400. A flame cut bevel is actually a little harder after the flame cutting. Make sure to use a little preheat and the proper electrodes if you're welding it on. The advantage to bolting on is it's easier to replace or turn around if both sides are beveled. You could rent a mag drill to put holes in your existing edge if it still has a decent width. A torch will work if you can make a nice hole with it.

cosmaar1

cosmaar1,

I just kind of assumed you were talking about the bolt on edge. My machine had a bolt on when I got it, and I figure it was put on new. The holes were already drilled in the welded cutting edge. Is there a chance that your welded edge is worn back past where the holes would be drilled in the welded edge??

My bolt on is about 1/2" thick. It must be hard, the original one was broken in like 3 places...came off as 3 pieces, not 1.

View attachment 277599 View attachment 277600 View attachment 277601

Tinkerer, Swetz,

funny that you guys are mentioning a bolt on one. I’ve owned the hoe for over 3 years now and never put two and two together until Swetz sent those pics. Looks like someone decided to forgo the cutting edge and instead destroy the front edge of the bucket. Ay yi yi. I went back and looked at pics and it’s in the same shape now that it was when I first bought the machine. I don’t really use the front bucket that often to cut.

Attachments

• 3B853378-A8FB-4C1D-AA2F-414E53802C0F.jpeg
    3B853378-A8FB-4C1D-AA2F-414E53802C0F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 54
  • 8AD5C712-C7A3-45EA-8021-FDD12F2197A7.jpeg
    8AD5C712-C7A3-45EA-8021-FDD12F2197A7.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 54

Tinkerer

Tinkerer, Swetz,
Looks like someone decided to forego the cutting edge and instead destroy the front edge of the bucket.
You said that someone decide to forego the cutting edge.
No they didn't . The cutting edge is there.
The front of the bucket begins where the big weld bead is.
It is a good thing you don't plan on using that bucket much.
The cutting edge should have been replaced a long time ago.
The wear left on the hand side in the photo is the worst I have ever seen.
I wonder if the loader frame is bent and caused it to wear like that.
The bolt holes in the cutting edge are for bolt-on shanks for teeth.
edge wear.jpg

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The bolt holes in the cutting edge are for bolt-on shanks for teeth.

Or to add a bolt-on "consumable" edge, as you can see in my pics.

Cosmaar1,

The weld-on is #7 below. You are going to like the price for the weld-on blade even less than the bolt-on. If you really don't use the loader that much, maybe you just want to let it ride???

I think Tinkerer is on to something based to the wear pattern. Something may be bent in the loader frame or mounting. Any welds on the arms or frame? Again, if you are not using the loader that much, it is not that big of a deal.

***Note, these part numbers are for my 675E. Yours may be different!!

upload_2023-1-15_9-12-18.png

upload_2023-1-15_9-13-12.png

upload_2023-1-15_9-16-8.png

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Tinkerer, Swetz,

funny that you guys are mentioning a bolt on one. I’ve owned the hoe for over 3 years now and never put two and two together until Swetz sent those pics. Looks like someone decided to forgo the cutting edge and instead destroy the front edge of the bucket. Ay yi yi. I went back and looked at pics and it’s in the same shape now that it was when I first bought the machine. I don’t really use the front bucket that often to cut.

You really should put a cutting edge on that.
Whomever did that should be flogged.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
The bed for the cutting edge is there I believe.
On my bucket, when I take the cutting edge off, looks just like that but not worn and th cutting edge protrudes from the bucket an inch or so.
Protection for the bucket edge.
Mine is worn slightly more on one side and was like that when I bought it so I flipped it and it looks just like that bucket now with the edge of.
I know it’s an aftermarket bucket though.

Welder Dave

The holes may or may not be for a cutting edge. If the loader was used for clearing a driveway or other area with a crown could explain why the left side is worn more. Worn pins might contribute as well.
The edge on my skid steer wasn't a very good steel. After the edge wore back about 3/4" it started to wear much faster. The back of the bucket where it angles up also wore out. Kind of a design oversight.

Last edited: