1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Friday sucked

Discussion in 'Scrapers' started by typ4, Aug 3, 2015.

1. typ4

typ4 Well-Known Member

Equipment mechanic for a small company.
    Got this text after work on friday, crew only needed one more day to finish up. AAAARRRRGH

Attached Files:

2. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

As sad as that is, it looks like it could have been much worse :eek:

3. fixou812

fixou812 Senior Member

Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
    .....if it were raining Cats*...I'd catch one with a dog* stuck in it!

Sorry. ...we all have days like that. ...also sorry it happened on a Fry Day

4. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    At least it looks like the tire under the cab did not catch, that would have been even worse. Any idea of what started it? Oil leak onto exhaust or electrical? Hope no one was hurt!

5. Buckethead

Buckethead Senior Member

Operator
    :( Breaks my heart to see an old 623 get messed up. Glad no one got hurt, hope she gets fixed up.

6. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Best thing to do is just start stripping out all the burnt stuff, scrub off everything with soapy water and pressure wash it off. Spray a fresh coat of Cat yellow and order up wiring harness and new set of gauges and seat. Of course it's easy for me to spend typ4's money!

7. grandpa

grandpa Senior Member

Monday sucked too. Thieves sawzalled the power chords on my screening spread!!:soapbox

8. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Damn tweakers....

9. oregon96pd

oregon96pd Well-Known Member

No, Friday wasnt to bad, saturday sucked.....also a 623b.

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

10. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

11. fixou812

fixou812 Senior Member

Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
    Goodness me, Goodness me, Industrial Disease

12. DPete

DPete Senior Member

I bet that made a noise:D See thru block

13. theironoracle

theironoracle Senior Member

OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
    Good thing someone put the bucket over the stack! Bwahaha. Actually a see thru block, I have never actually seen all the way thru! Great photo.....TIO

14. DPete

DPete Senior Member

Ha ha I was going to say that but decided not to be a smart azz. We're starting a job Monday, hope that disease stays outa Cali.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  15. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Saw a Cummins V12 do that once, was no problem at all diagnosing the problem with those inspection ports opened up!

16. clintm

clintm Senior Member

trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
    will it be ready by lunch monday it will be pretty dusty buy then gonna need some water put down

17. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    You could see right through this one ............

Quisqueya Cyl block.jpg

18. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

I haven't been able to find it, but I once had a picture of a 6V-71T Detroit hanging from the crane, with the mechanics arm stuffed all the way through both sides of the block.

It was a rear engine on a TS-24B, and the speed sensor failed on the trans, so it didn't upshift out of second gear, while the front went all the way to sixth on the return haul road.

When it happened, I was driving down the haul road, and noticed an odd piece of debris. I stopped and picked it up, and was barely able to tell it used to be a connecting rod. I got back in the truck and went a short ways down the road, and found 2 more, along with an oil trail. I followed that to the dead unit. With the RPM it seen, it was a real mess, dropped valves ruined the top end, and 4 out of 6 rods left out of the bottom.

I hope to find the picture some day, as I am sure others would enjoy seeing it.

19. oregon96pd

oregon96pd Well-Known Member

They ordered a long block for it, so after I pulled it out I covered the exhaust cause the turbo is getting re-used.....you wouldn't belive the amount of crap I've gotten for putting that cover on it though lol

20. norite

norite Senior Member

Good idea, I have a hard time believing it is necessary to cover the exhaust when hauling a turbo engine, but many mechanics have told me it's a real danger to the turbo bearings/seals. I personally think it is better safe than sorry and plug the exhaust. Neatest way to do it I have seen is to shove one of those tiny traffic cones in the pipe, like they use for hwy line painting.