• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Friction Crane Operation-Tips and Tricks?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Yeah ror76a , not being familiar with the Unit 357 crane I came up with a brochure for one . I would think a round plate foot 16 to 18 inch in diameter & 3/4 thick would work fine .

Second photo is how the outrigger foot is attached to the outrigger itself on my Grove rigs . Pretty simple , tight radius linked U- bolt welded to the outrigger & foot allowing it to conform easy at different angles .[/QUOTE

That 357 Unit brochure reminded me of a local guy here that had one he bought new in the early 60s, I think he had every attachment available for it, I recall seeing the shovel and backhoe booms in his yard. He had an R-190 International truck painted to match that he pulled it around with, had a boom rest on the headache rack. Last time I saw it working was 1994, sadly the owner passed away 2 years later. I actually thought about buying the whole mess for a toy, and wish I had now.

td25c

Yeah RZucker , Rig like that 357 with attachments would be a contractors dream . Add a dozer & dump truck to the operation ...... Could handle about any job that came along .

What more could we ever want ?;):D

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Yeah RZucker , Rig like that 357 with attachments would be a contractors dream . Add a dozer & dump truck to the operation ...... Could handle about any job that came along .

What more could we ever want ?;):D

Yep, nothing better than simple equipment that only needs wire rope and a grease gun.

alskdjfhg

I got out of school a couple of weeks ago, so been trying to work at the farm as much as possible. I've wanted to move the P&H from where it was first parked, to a place on the other side of the "yard" where were going to start putting up a little pole barn. We'll it's been raining pretty hard in south Texas, but most of the rain has missed the farm.

It was finally dry enough to try to move today, the whole "yard" was pretty solid except for the ground right under the crane. Made some pretty decent ruts getting out, but thankfully didn't get stuck.

Machine ran decently, I'm always amazed how easily it starts, not much stuff at the farm starts when you turn the key like it should.:D I still need to try and adjust the swing brake, doesn't seem to do anything about holding the house still at all. Also the swing mechanism sounded like crap, may need lubrication or adjustment.

Most worrisome thing is that is upper pops out of gear, going to take a look at this when I'm tinkering with it again. I want to get the leaking outrigger lines fixed and the machine on pads before I start trying to lift anything.

Attachments

• 0530161601a.jpg
    0530161601a.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 0530161602.jpg
    0530161602.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 0530161624_Burst01.jpg
    0530161624_Burst01.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 0530161624_HDR.jpg
    0530161624_HDR.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 237

Operator4100

Hey Man, What's wrong with the swinger's???? (sounds like crap) Also if you have a master cylinder that releases the swing brake, I never did see one that worked right, not to say it cant be repaired thou

alskdjfhg

I'm not sure, but they were making a pretty loud grinding/crunching noise. It was getting kinda late didn't have any time to take a look at what may be causing the sound.

Last edited:

alskdjfhg

Just a thought, was the swing brake on and you didn't no it ?????
I did check that, and nope it was in the released position.

And guessing by how much the boom wiggles side to side with the brake on, I don't think it does much even when it's engaged.

I'll be able to take a better look when I'm back at the machine. Hopefully its nothing that's really an issue.

alskdjfhg

Not much weight, getting ready for some larger lifts. But picked up some actual weight for the first time.

Only about 1500lbs, hardly took the slack out of the hoist lines.

Needed the welder moved and it was too wet to do it with anything with wheels, so used the crane.

d5151ea62228864df90adccb5f78e275.jpg

Last edited:

td25c

That's good that you got to use it & get the " feel" of how it handles .

Ever come up with any outrigger feet ?

Hang on ...... Is that a Minneapolis - Moline tractor parked out back behind the building with a tarp covering it ?

alskdjfhg

I behaves much better with a little weight on the hook.

No I still need to make some pads. I just took some full length railroad ties, made up some height with 4x6's on top and threw a pices of 6"x 1/2" plate where the outrigger contacts the blocks.

And on this soft ground, (we got a couple of inches of rain yesterday) that's not nearly enough. Basically I was still "on rubber" and the outriggers just give a bit more stability, but more for looks than anything.

I really want to build a pad for this thing and park in on some mats, it's so heavy it just sinks into soft dirt.

And nope it's not a Moline, but a Case 930. All the farm equipment is Case, Dad's kinda hung up on them.

Last edited:

td25c

That's cool !

Sounds like you guys got allot of rain this summer .

We sure did . In a dry spell now , got a little shower Friday that settled the dust . Ground is starting to firm up tight like it normally would be in June or July .

Yeah , It would be good if you could over dig the sod & drop some stone in for the P&H to set on .

It only takes more time & money .:D

Keep up the good work !

alskdjfhg

It was dry for the time I was tied up in summer classes.

The day I took my final it started raining and its been raining pretty steadily since then and looks like we're supposed to get more this week.

And yeah, "only time and money" about sums it up. XD