• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Friction brake pad problem of SANY wheel loader syl956h5

Ma_earthmover

Dear All,
I am a new member, & first of all I hope that the members of the community of this forum are all well ;
We recently sold a SANY wheel loader syl956h5 for one of our customers, if my memory do not betray me I think delivery date was on 31/ 03/2021
the loader that is has a lot of friction brake pad problems and usually the caliper assy with it too , indeed the latter wear out quickly, like every 3 months sometimes less,
So I would like to know all the possible root causes according to your experience which can lead to this situation ? so that I can study each case ; If this already happened to you what can I do to to solve this problem or at least reduce the frequency of breakdowns ?

Ma_earthmover

As bad as I hate to say it, I'd bet my life it's the quality of the materials in the rotors and brake pads.
Thanks for your answer , Yes, I suspected the same thing ,but do you have any idea what can I do ? should I for exemple see with a lathe operator to make me a brake rotors with better quality materials ? or is there any risk for this solution ?, as for the brake pads I just found out that there is an the equivalent in CAT thus better quality materials. but for the caliper assy I still dont understand why we lose the seals as you can see in this image

Attachments

• Caliper aSYY.jpeg
    Caliper aSYY.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Caliper Assy (2).jpeg
    Caliper Assy (2).jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Caliper Assy.jpeg
    Caliper Assy.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 33

Ma_earthmover

It's hard to find any information or photos of the interior of the operator's cab.
Does the braking system of this particular model of loader have one brake pedal or two.?

Thank for your help sir ;
The braking system of this loader have only one brake pedal , but I'm curious why is the number of brake pedals important to explain this situation ?
You shalls find the pictures that u asked me for.
Summary of the problem :
-The caliper assy lose the seals very quickly
- The brake pads wear very quickly
- Till now we never had a brake rotary problem but we fear we can have at any moment

Attachments

• the interior of the operator's cab..jpeg
    the interior of the operator's cab..jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Caliper aSYY.jpeg
    Caliper aSYY.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Caliper Assy (2).jpeg
    Caliper Assy (2).jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Pads 3.jpeg
    Pads 3.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 22

Ma_earthmover

More pictures data of the matter

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-23 at 10.40.35.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-23 at 10.40.35.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Caliper aSYY.jpeg
    Caliper aSYY.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Pads 1.jpeg
    Pads 1.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Caliper Assy (2).jpeg
    Caliper Assy (2).jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 17

Vetech63

I had to log out and back in, now the pics enlarge o_O Can you post some pics of the brake assembly assembled on the axle? Those look like shoes and not pads.

Vetech63

I there any way to comunicate you the pictures if possible , Email , whatsapp ... or I can send u back the picture with the needed area you wantme to zoom in
I got it working now. I would rather you post them here so others can see what's going on. A parts book breakdown pic would help.......I think.

Ma_earthmover

Hi ,
Here is the brake system detail according to the Book

Attachments

• Brake System.png
    Brake System.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Part Numbers.png
    Part Numbers.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 10

Ma_earthmover

Other Picture for the axle

Attachments

• Axle.png
    Axle.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Loader 1.png
    Loader 1.png
    462.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Loader 2.png
    Loader 2.png
    424.4 KB · Views: 9

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
No idea of the model year but most manufacturers quit using external dry disk brakes in wheel loaders back in the early 2000 time frame. They just don't handle dirt and debris well. There have been several threads discussing the quality of parts and machines built in China as well. Where have you been getting your parts from for this machine?

56wrench

If this machine uses the service brakes also for the park brake, maybe the park brake function is not releasing properly

Ma_earthmover

No idea of the model year but most manufacturers quit using external dry disk brakes in wheel loaders back in the early 2000 time frame. They just don't handle dirt and debris well. There have been several threads discussing the quality of parts and machines built in China as well. Where have you been getting your parts from for this machine?
- The the Model year is 2020
-How does dirt and debris affect dry disk brakes ?
- The problem is the Brake disks are ok , it is the caliper assy and the brake pad that have problem (parts on the picture uploaded )
- We have been getting our parts from china.

Attachments

• Brake System.png
    Brake System.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Part Numbers.png
    Part Numbers.png
    76.8 KB · Views: 3

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Thank for your help sir ;
The braking system of this loader have only one brake pedal , but I'm curious why is the number of brake pedals important to explain this situation ?
The reason I asked about the number of brake pedals is that most modern wheel loaders have two brake pedals. See the illustration below. The pedal on the right operates only the brakes , the one on the left operates the brakes but also disconnects the transmission drive.
When the operator is dumping the bucket he uses the left pedal and as a result the machine is not pushing against the transmission so the hydraulics work faster. I've seen cases of brake wear on machines of that design where the operator was (incorrectly) using the right pedal for braking during dumping. I wanted to eliminate potentially incorrect operation as a factor in the brake wear problem.

Another reason that made me ask about the number of brake pedals was that you mentioned frequent failures of the seals in the calipers. That to me indicated heat, and also suggested the possibility of incorrect operation.

upload_2022-3-23_14-36-28.png

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
How does dirt and debris affect dry disk brakes ?
Because of the exposed nature of the brakes, any dirt & fine debris can enter the space between the pad and disc, acting like grinding compound and wearing away both the friction material of the brake pads and also the braking surface of the dry disk. This is especially true if there is even a hint of moisture around the brakes.

Reactions: DB2