• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Freewheelin'?

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Any speculations on what causes freewheeling?

I'm referring specifically to when you raise the entire machine (stabilizers and bucket) and use the backhoe and the rear wheels spin.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Easy way to stop that. Take it out of gear on the gear lever. When Im digging for long periods of time I got in the habit of doing it. Or put the park brake on. I forget exactly why it does it though.

Take it out of gear is easier that way you dont have to hit the e-brake every time you have to push or pull yourself with the hoe.

surfer-joe

When you remove all load from the drive wheels and the tranny is in a gear, there is enough residual oil flow in the torque divider to move the gears and driveline. You can actually grab a wheel and stop it at an idle. I wouldn't try it at a higher RPM though. Good idea to take the machine out of gear or apply the park brake.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Ah. I hadn't realized that the machine had to be in gear. Now that makes sense. :) Thanks guys!

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
We now have a Deere 410G and one thing I dont like about the powershift is that I can't fully take it out of gear. I went under the machine the first week we had it to grease the driveshaft points only to find out there was 1 grease fitting. It was a pain to look though. The 580 Id just leave in neutral and spin the shaft or tires by hand to line up the fittings.