• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

freeloaders working the unemployment scam

PJ The Kid

Occupation
Mechanic
That is what I call voting for a living. They are going to vote for who ever will give them the most free stuff. They won't vote for the one promising a shovel or wrench in every hand, they want a chicken for every pot, on someone else' dime.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Road building here goes from around the 20 of may until the middle of November. Some projects might start earlier, but spring weight restrictions don't lift until may. You can also work later depending on the weather. I'm 45 and have been a seasonal worker since 1996. I take all the work I can, but have been a regular user of unemployment insurance. Because of the abusers of the system, they make it harder for everyone on the system. One of the rules is that if you quit without just cause, you can not qualify for employment insurance. If you can find someone to hire you to get your hours for EI, and lay you off, they can't hire someone to replace you without a lot of questions being asked. I get $918 every 2 weeks which is pretty good money to sit home all winter. But I am required to actively look for work, and I have to keep records of it. As of yet, they can't force me to leave the province.If year around work was there, I would do it. Like I told unemployment...I can count on one hand the number of graders around here, and one finger will tell you who uses theirs in winter.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Once when I was complaining to my Dad about something like this pertaining to copious rules and associated actions by dishonest folks, he reminded me that a system with rules and policies are applicable to most of the folks while there will always be those folks who feel otherwise.
I believe he was indicating those who don't oblige a system will create this type of consternation.

Twisted

First off, I'm a self-employed contractor but have had seasonal jobs in the past which allowed me to collect UE bennies for a month+/- per year. I also hear ya on the "cabin fever". Bank-roll is dwindling, bids are coming in slow, owners and employees are becoming restless working in the shop rather than out in the dirt. Ice fishing has been decent though. :)

Another facet to this issue is the government agencies issuing these benefits. I see it all too often with our SS offices and such. The more hand-outs they give and the more people on the government roll means more job security for them and a larger budget the next year.
I don't want to turn this political so I'll leave it at that.

There are two types that collect from our government. Some need it because if a situation beyond their control and some abuse it because they are too lazy to put in an honest days work. Those two groups are entirely different people and need to be kept separate in these discussions. my $0.02

hdm

This really isn't your main focus of business. You should have more on your plate than to worry about someone who works for you and then leaves...just don't hire them again and move on with your life. The distraction is costing you money.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
This really isn't your main focus of business. You should have more on your plate than to worry about someone who works for you and then leaves...just don't hire them again and move on with your life. The distraction is costing you money.

I agree. Cost of doing business.

Nothing much is going to change until the ultimate decision maker, that is, the customer, wises up that this and a thousand other factors of interference and cost increase all conspire to drive the cost of every job sky high, and demand reform from those with the power to reform it.

And of course we have no way of knowing how many jobs are completely sunk by all the tacked on costs increasing the final price, thus contributing to economic sluggishness.

Oh well.

m_ice

Real issue here IMO...legislators! The system for what it was designed for has been altered to promote abuse. There are still many people that use it as it is intended but unfortunately many more that misuse it. Until that changes, it's sad to say, will only continue or worsen.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been happy to state in all my 40+ years working managed ONE UI check ever. Felt bad taking that one and had to jump through hoops just to get there after 30 days wait. I know of at least a dozen buttheads that go to work for between 3-6 weeks either get fired or quit and are first in line for UI the very next day. Employers have figured a few of them, they are now denying their claims.