• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Found a D5 96J sitting 17+ years, engine issues, needs segments.

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
SAVING OLE YELLOW/ORANGE IRON
An older gentleman has a D5 96J. Hour meter on pump shows 1177 hours.
I know the gentleman and his family. His nephew believes it was purchased new or next to new. I believe this to be true.
Has been sitting 17+ years , they thought it blew a head gasket.
It has 9' straight blade with power tilt, power shift trans, no winch, growsers good, rails good, some wear on bushings but not bad.
Just assuming the engine needs a complete overhaul.
Owner says machine weights 26,000. He used to haul it with a tandem GMC with 427 and a tag trailer.
Price is $5000. which I think is far.
As with my post track loader forum about my 977H.
All POSITIVE comments and suggestions welcome.

Check Break

I know the gentleman and his family. His nephew believes it was purchased new or next to new. I believe this to be true.
It has 9' straight blade with power tilt, power shift trans, no winch, growsers good, rails good, some wear on bushings but not bad.
Owner says machine weights 26,000. He used to haul it with a tandem GMC with 427 and a tag trailer.

Not sure what "good" means as it means different things to different people. You'll have to scale the UC to figure out what's left. If you're sure about the PS transmission, open up the screen/filter housings and take some pictures. If it has the 3306, no unusual metal in the trans filter/screen and the UC is 75%, it's cheap. If the D333 and same condition, not as good but still doable at $5K.

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
It's obviously been re-engined at some point. It was orignally built with a D333.
I was thinking 1177 hours couldn't possibly be right but for the hours on the replacement engine - maybe it is.
Tractor serial number is 96J6072. OhioCat told me it is a 1976 model.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Or could it possibly just quit, these were never the best meters for remaining functional. Segments show many more hours than 1200, cannot tell if just cracked peeling paint or busted block in that s/n shot. Grousers and shoe meet ups as well dry pin rail sections look relatively recent to last use as close to new, that upper roller is not badly worn either, sprocket segments are the curiosity. Nose looks to have been beaten HARD.

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
Segments are worn. Out to a sharp point. Not bending over yet, you can feel wear on the bushings. The owner worked for Peabody Coal at Broken Arrow until it closed then Central Ohio Coal. He and one brother had an excavating business, plus they both worked the family farm with the third brother. I think the nose damage was from grubbing fence line trees. Which is what it was doing when it developed head issues. The family is very well respected and trusted in the community.

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
Still well worth grabbing up, at $5k, maybe not, for less than 3500 probably.
Current scrap price local is $300 per ton unprepared. With all fluids drained. Book says 26,000 guessing that is just the tractor without blade. $4000+ just scrap value.

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
Scrap
Here still below $200/t
Prepping takes time and gas axe juice, have to figure that into costs to make $4k
If I haul it as is less the fluids $300 ton. They cut it up I have hearing some places pushing $400 unprepared. A lot of history will be lost at these high scrap prices.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
What is cracked in the third picture down? Looks almost like an intake runner? Or is that a crack at all?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Looks like a broken block to me. Front idler is to the end of the track frame and the sprockets teeth are sharp. Looks like someone swapped a set of used tracks on. 13 tons times $300 is $3,900 and you haven't even moved the items yet. Doesn't sound like a money making proposition to me.

Check Break

I think she's late enough to have been built with a 3306. I'm having a hard time with the UC. Segments are scrap, chains are probably 0%, pads look good (grouser, leading and trailing edges) and the rollers don't appear to be hitting the pin bosses. If you need something that size and are up for the gamble, she'll probably be ok. Replace the segments and you can squeeze another 50% out of the chains on flat ground. The 3306 parts should be cheap. We scrapped a lot of them when we switched to the C12 and C13 because they had no value. That block doesn't look cracked to me. Looks more like an oil trace, but then my vision isn't what it once was.

Bob Cowdery

Occupation
Where in the world do you find undercarriage component wear dimensions. I can find how to check but not the actual dimensions.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Cat puts out books on that. I have their Custom Track Service 12th edition. I think they are up to the 17th edition by now.