• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford Trumps GM in Diesel Pickup Power War

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
Ford trumps GM power play with free engine-software update that takes 2011 Superduty Powerstroke to 400 horsepower and 800 pounds-feet of torque -- the new most-powerful diesel pickup over GM's 2011 Duramax

As seen at PickupTrucks.com:

Production of the updated engines with the new power ratings starts this week, but early adopters of the new 2011 F-Series Super Duty aren't being left behind because there are no changes to the engine or transmission.

“There are no physical hardware changes required,” Gryglak said. “The fueling schedule has changed along with transmission [shifting schedule] calibrations to make sure we have a smooth and continuous torque curve.”

Additional fuel injected during combustion is all that's needed to get the power bump.

Starting Aug. 31 and continuing for the next 12 months, 6.7 Power Stroke owners can have their engine control unit software updated for free at their local Ford dealer. The upgrade process is similar to a firmware update in a smart phone or PC and is expected to take about 30 minutes.

“Drivers are going to see most of the benefit in highway gears, fourth, fifth and sixth, in the amount of reserve torque that’s available,” said Chris Brewer, Ford F-Series Super Duty chief engineer. “If you're driving in hilly terrain towing a trailer, instead of a downshift happening sooner, it will happen later. You can stay in a given gear longer.”

Along with more power, 6.7 v2.0 owners should see improved fuel economy because the engine can shift gears faster and hold them longer. Ford says the engine will be 2 percent more efficient than 6.7 v1.0, making the 2011 F-Series Super Duty 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel 20 percent more fuel efficient than the old 2010 6.4-liter Power Stroke V-8 model.

Last edited:

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
400 hp and 800 lb-ft? Holy Cow! Last time i checked, heavy truck engines run in the 1200 lb-ft if i recall. So this pickup engine has the grunt to haul 35 tonne loads up 6% grades? I think its getting to be overkill at this point.

How bout we built a cheap little diesel engine with specs from 10 years ago and offer it at a $10,000 discount to this one.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The Big 3 should be offering a smaller displacement diesel in the pickups. Just like you can walk into a KW dealership and order a T800 with a 300HP to 500HP engine to suit your needs.

I think a lot of fleet buyers purchase 3/4 and larger pickups not only for the hauling and towing capacity but also for their longevity. The 3/4 ton trucks will outlast a 1/2 ton in a work environment - IE not pulling skids or hauling 2K lbs everyday but rather carrying small tools, supplies and guys to the job site day in and day out. The philosophy being the truck is hardly ever loaded to it's design capacity.

Back when I was building my HVAC subcontractor would always buy 1/2 ton trucks to carry the units, ductwork and 2 guys to the job. They replaced their trucks every 3-4 years because they were wore out.

On the contrary I still have an '01 F250 7.3 4x4 with 100K plus miles that I bought new that is still going strong. This truck occasionally pulled skids and a tool trailer. It has a cross box and side boxes used to haul hand tools and has carried it's fair share of materials. I bought the 250 for the heavier suspension and running gear and the diesel for the longevity. If there was an option at the time for a smaller, more economical diesel, I would have given it serious consideration.

Now to wrap back into my original thought, I think a lot of fleet buyers would prefer a smaller displacement diesel that gets better mileage in these types of pickups. It would not replace the need for a bigger diesel in the trucks that would be pulling skids, etc but might fit the bill for a guy that hauls around 4 guys and a trailer full of mowers. Or a site contractor that needs to carry a 100 gal fuel tank, tool box and misc materials. The heavier suspension and running gear mated to a smaller, yet more economical diesel would be a nice option to have.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I posted before but it disappeared. I hear 17-19 real world mileage from the 6.7. Which is average for the current offerings. Guys have hit over 30MPG diesel only on there fullsizes but there modded/driven for it.

800 seems like at lot but if you look at there the TQ peak and the gearing of heavy trucks there is no comparison.

Ford did have plans to build a F250 with a small diesel, but I guess it was put on hold with the rest of them. I don't know how well it would work Fords are very heavy and it might take its toll.

Worstenemy453

400 hp and 800 lb-ft? Holy Cow! Last time i checked, heavy truck engines run in the 1200 lb-ft if i recall. So this pickup engine has the grunt to haul 35 tonne loads up 6% grades? I think its getting to be overkill at this point.

How bout we built a cheap little diesel engine with specs from 10 years ago and offer it at a $10,000 discount to this one.

The 400 and 800 mark can easily be touched in the world of diesel today. My stepfathers 06 6.0L powerstroke is sitting at 420hp and 810 ft lbs with just a tuner, ram air kit and exhaust. I personally dont know about the 6.4 or 6.7 because i havnt had a chance to check them out personally but i know i would rather have a 05 or later 6.0 over any other offerings from ford other than an old body style 7.3. It makes sense on the update with added fuel, as the way to get power is usually to add bigger injectors. More fuel will always be the key to power from atleast powerstrokes. I think the numbers are great and couldnt be over-kill.

frogfarmer

I had a dyno ticket from my 97 5.9 cummins with just shy of 1300 lb/ft of torque at the rear wheels. This motor would pull right through a single disc clutch. Had to rebuild the twin disk clutch twice due to pulling sleds. 400hp and 800 lb/ft are very conservative for todays engines. 6.0s are junk; no luck at all making big numbers. 6.4s are awesome with all the emissions removed and custom tunes. I have seen 6.4s burn a set of duals almost 100 ft from a dead stop and no brake.