1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Ford spindle broke

Discussion in 'Agricultural Equipment' started by td25c, Mar 27, 2009.

1. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Sorry folks,I know its not that exciting,but this happens from time to time.Grandpa orderd the 4000 new with the low profile option.The steering axil is to light for a loader .My dad gets on it and thinks its a cat 963 high lift.But we keep putting it back together.The ford 4000 is like familly to us,I am just glad it cant talk about all the places its been.

Attached Files:

2. qball

qball Senior Member

local 150 operator
    i have a ford 2600, which looks to be an exact copy of that tractor, and i have brok a few spindles. gotta replace the radiator tomorrow.

3. Richardjw~

Richardjw~ Senior Member

looks like a real war-horse :) .......with a swept-back it looks like its off a 3000 axle from here.....mind you its probably the same wheel bearings.

We used to have a 4000 with loader and regularly (12yrs) shifted 0.5ton round bales of silage and shifted tonnes of shy-tea and I think we only ever had one king-pin go, snapped on the top.

Attached Files:

4. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Its the "SU" 4000.Low profile tractor.I agree Richardjw,It looks like a 3000 axil.Its been a good war -horse.

5. Richardjw~

Richardjw~ Senior Member

just a thought, maybe try some 7.50x16 tyres on the front instead of the 6.00x16s might help with absorbing some of the shock.

6. td25c

td25c Senior Member

I think I found a cure for the spindle problem .......... Ford skip loader with front wheel assist .

Customer had us spreading stone on a job and we used a 545 to load with . Pretty nice machine . From what I can see looks to be built off the old Ford 4000 platform with 3 cylinder diesel engine ,transmission & rear housing look very similar . Loader is built tough & hydraulics cycle fast . Front axil looks to be built pretty heavy . Handles real nice , I like it !

Attached Files:

7. Queenslander

Queenslander Senior Member

image.jpg

8. td25c

td25c Senior Member

LOL! Aint that the truth . Good one mate:lmao

9. Queenslander

Queenslander Senior Member

Haven't had to resort to the method above, but I have chained the axle to the loader frame to limp home after breaking the spindle on our 4610.
    As you say, never designed to carry a loader but a great little workhorse nonetheless.
    Cheers, Greg

10. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Make sure you keep the steering tie rods greased as the ones on the cylinders are not serviceable... they are integral to the hydraulic cylinder rod... so about $250 to replace.

11. td25c

td25c Senior Member

We have broke several over the years . Not to big of a deal to replace , I have welded them back a couple times . I holds fine until it breaks again .:D

They are pretty tough old rigs otherwise . And not to bad on fuel .

12. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Will sure keep that in mind Ronsii . Thanks for the heads up info .