1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Ford Industrial LSG423 - no spark. is 10v too low?

Discussion in 'Forklifts/Telehandlers' started by gatorsby7, Oct 11, 2019.

1. gatorsby7

gatorsby7 Member

retired
    I have a 1995 Genie Z45/22 with Ford Industrial LSG423. It has the DIS ignition. I have good battery, motor cranks, but no spark. I was trying to diagnose a start then die in a few seconds condition, but now I've lost spark. It has approx 10v at start module, ECM, coil, alternator excite wire, etc Is this too low to trigger a spark? I've been trying to chase the voltage drop, but wiring is difficult to access.

2. gatorsby7

gatorsby7 Member

retired
    forgot to add that I ohm tested the Crank Position Sensor and it tested fine.

3. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Should be an OK voltage. What ignition control module does it have? I know something about this system but not everything.

4. gatorsby7

gatorsby7 Member

retired
    ignition module is a 12A297 specifically, F5JL-12A297-BA

5. TEX32

TEX32 Active Member

Unfortunetley, it looks as though you do have a module issue. And these are no longer available. There is an update kit for these.

LRG 423 MODULE - UPDATE KIT (F5JL-12A297-AA)

6. TEX32

TEX32 Active Member

To add to the above, low voltage will cause modules to let the smoke out of the box. I wouldn't perform any additional diagnosis until source voltage is at least 12.2v. Remember, 11.7 is considered a dead battery.