• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ford Backhoe / reverse forward function

tom corr

Hello, first post, I read this site allot because I like machinery, don't know why, just do, when I was young I had to shovel a lot of ****, perhaps that's why.
Let me introduce myself, My name is Tom and I live in southern Tasmania, I live on six acres of scrubby bush and intend on sweetening things up a little.
I have three tractors at present, inter250B, ford 3930 and a ford 3550 loader all chugging along fairly well.
Question, I intend on buying a ford 555a 1984 backhoe, 10 thousand hrs, the machine seems ok for its age but
to engage forward or reverse you need to smack it in pretty hard on the column lever, once in gear its fine, not to sure on that aspect of the machine, any advice will be appreciated, thanks

tom corr

Thanks mitch504 that confirms my feeling, just putting it out there before I commit,
I'm pretty happy about the whole thing, haven't owned a hoe before,
cheers